H1 with valid EAD lost job

shek2u

Hi,

I'm on H1, but have a valid EAD. I didn't use my EAD till now, as I was with the same employer and was renewing my visa status. Now that I may lose my job anytime, how to stay legally? I know we can stay in EAD status without a job (may be till the time of renewal or approval), but I'm in H1 status. Do I need to change my status to EAD to continue my stay in the country? What are the options to change my status? I understand I can change it to EAD status when I get into new job, but my status will be H1 in the interim period till I get my next job. Do I need to travel out of the country to enter as EAD?

Thank you in advance.

Ead is not a status. H1 is a status if you are continuously paid by any employer.

Now that I may lose my job anytime, how to stay legally? -> Try your best to maintain and stay on h1.

Do I need to change my status to EAD to continue my stay in the country? -> Not necessarily. Find another employer who can do h1b transfer.

What are the options to change my status? -> If you are married and your spouse in on L1, H1 then you can convert to dependent i.e L2 or H4.

Do I need to travel out of the country to enter as EAD? -> NO.

Archived