h1B visa newal ,Passport expiring before the date on 1-797

ramauto

Hello,

I booked the appointment for the H1B renewal stamping in vancouver canada.

i got a conformation e-mail from the consulate for the appointment and then in the required documents section i have seen this statement .

A passport valid for travel to the United States and valid for at least 6 months beyond the applicant's intended period of stay in the United States unless country specific agreements provide exceptions. Consult http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/104770.pdf for exemptions. If more than one person is included in the passport, each person desiring a visa must make an application.

My passport is expiring next year but H1B is valid till 2014.

But India is mentioned in the expection country list.

Does any one know if i can go for the stamping or do i need to get my passport renewed before i go for stamping ?

• 3 months later...

Hi ramauto,

Can you please provide updates to your case I am in same boat as you are My passport is expiring April,2012. My H1B is valid untill Oct 2013. I have applied for a new passport at Indian embassy in washington DC. My question is " once we apply for passport renewal we get a new passport number. can we book appointment with old passport number and carry 2 passports to US visa consulate?"

Please advise

• 9 months later...

Archived