H1 TO H4 Visa stamping in India

Prachi25

Hello,

I am currently on H1B in the United states but would be travelling to India.

1)I would like to know when in India do I need to apply for a COS or just apply for a h4 as I plan to go to interview with my husband. I was wondering what are the documents required for the interview.

2)Also, for the ds-160 do we have to fill 2 separate DS-160 or just one, that is of my husband? If so what should my purpose of visit be? and should I also mention my current h1b?

Please reply to me at the earliest as I need to be submitting the ds-160 in 1 week.

Thanks

Prachi

On 10/12/2016 at 11:40 AM, Prachi25 said:

Hello,

I am currently on H1B in the United states but would be travelling to India.

1)I would like to know when in India do I need to apply for a COS or just apply for a h4 as I plan to go to interview with my husband. I was wondering what are the documents required for the interview.

2)Also, for the ds-160 do we have to fill 2 separate DS-160 or just one, that is of my husband? If so what should my purpose of visit be? and should I also mention my current h1b?

Please reply to me at the earliest as I need to be submitting the ds-160 in 1 week.

Thanks

Prachi

You will apply for H4 at the consulate, if you are going to a consulate then no COS is required. If you are remaining in the country and apply for COS then you will file 539.

--- You will fill two separate DS-160's

--- Purpose! what do you mean? like why do you want H4?, well it should be obvious that you want to be with your husband. This is not even a question anywhere in the application

--- You have to give all the details, previous H1's F1 etc. why would you not?

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, geetha88.v said:

Hi,

Even i am having the same question, So my understanding is COS is not required and can go to consulate directly. 

But how mandatory in filling 2 separate DS-160's? 

Thanks

Geetha

What do you mean? DS160 is per individual so every individual no matter if they are applying together should complete a separate DS160

Archived