Jump to content
All posts are moderated, so it will take time for your post to appear!
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kf09

Calling all 221g - Only Vancouver Consulate

Recommended Posts

Is anybody still in Vancouver waiting to get their visa? 

I got the yellow slip yesterday and was told to check back in 10 days. If any of you are still here and want to meet up, please reply here.  I will certainly be here all of next week. 

Share this post


Link to post
On ‎10‎/‎7‎/‎2016 at 4:33 PM, RoSogolla_221g said:

So we are 3 of us for now in Vancouver. If there are others, do post here. We can plan to meet up sometime tomorrow. I have message from one of you, but if anyone else is interested, then message me.

I had interview on October 12th. Received 221g and VO asked to email my resume and my microbiology research details. Submitted them on same day. Please share if you received updates processing time.

Thank you 

Share this post


Link to post
On 10/7/2016 at 4:33 PM, RoSogolla_221g said:

So we are 3 of us for now in Vancouver. If there are others, do post here. We can plan to meet up sometime tomorrow. I have message from one of you, but if anyone else is interested, then message me.

Are any of you still here or did ya'll get your visas? It would really help to know if and when you did, so please update your statuses when you get a chance. 

Share this post


Link to post

1. Interview date & Time: 14 Oct 2016

2. Case created / Status update:  Adiministrative Processing

3. # of working days so far: 0

4. Consulate kept any docs : I-797, Passport

5. Consulate kept Passport : Yes

6. VO comment: Email Copy of I-140 (my employer does not give I-140 to employee)

7. Color of 221g : White

My employer attorney sent the I-140 copy on the same day - Friday. I am waiting for confirmation email from consulate about the document. Really concerned about processing time.

 

Folks who were stuck for weeks in Vancouver, where did you stay? Hotels are so expensive. Cannot afford to stay in vancouver when response time is unknown.

Edited by VanVisa

Share this post


Link to post
21 hours ago, Rohini K said:

Is anybody still in Vancouver waiting to get their visa? 

I got the yellow slip yesterday and was told to check back in 10 days. If any of you are still here and want to meet up, please reply here.  I will certainly be here all of next week. 

Yes, I am. 

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, VanVisa said:

1. Interview date & Time: 14 Oct 2016

2. Case created / Status update:  Adiministrative Processing

3. # of working days so far: 0

4. Consulate kept any docs : I-797, Passport

5. Consulate kept Passport : Yes

6. VO comment: Email Copy of I-140 (my employer does not give I-140 to employee)

7. Color of 221g : White

My employer attorney sent the I-140 copy on the same day - Friday. I am waiting for confirmation email from consulate about the document. Really concerned about processing time.

 

Folks who were stuck for weeks in Vancouver, where did you stay? Hotels are so expensive. Cannot afford to stay in vancouver when response time is unknown.

Did the VO tell you anything on how many days it would take? Any timeline at all? 

Share this post


Link to post
On ‎10‎/‎14‎/‎2016 at 10:45 PM, Rohini K said:

Are any of you still here or did ya'll get your visas? It would really help to know if and when you did, so please update your statuses when you get a chance. 

Try AirBnB. I am also messaging you as this post will probably show up on Monday.

Share this post


Link to post
On ‎10‎/‎15‎/‎2016 at 6:07 AM, VanVisa said:

1. Interview date & Time: 14 Oct 2016

2. Case created / Status update:  Adiministrative Processing

3. # of working days so far: 0

4. Consulate kept any docs : I-797, Passport

5. Consulate kept Passport : Yes

6. VO comment: Email Copy of I-140 (my employer does not give I-140 to employee)

7. Color of 221g : White

My employer attorney sent the I-140 copy on the same day - Friday. I am waiting for confirmation email from consulate about the document. Really concerned about processing time.

 

Folks who were stuck for weeks in Vancouver, where did you stay? Hotels are so expensive. Cannot afford to stay in vancouver when response time is unknown.

Are you in an EC or EVC model? Based on multiple forums, you should get it in about 1 week as this is just a case of missing document request. You will probably still be stressed and yeah this is no guarantee, but one of the guys who got stuck last week, got his visa approved in 1 day after his company sent the requested doc. The consulate asked for passport and that has taken 5 days to process, but at least he knows it is approved and done with. So hope for the best.

Share this post


Link to post
On ‎10‎/‎14‎/‎2016 at 10:45 PM, Rohini K said:

Are any of you still here or did ya'll get your visas? It would really help to know if and when you did, so please update your statuses when you get a chance. 

Two of use are still waiting and we know we will be here for another week for sure. The third persons case was slightly different and got done much faster. He has his interview on Oct 6, Got 221g as they needed client letter, got the letter to consulate by next day. His visa got approved on Oct 11th (10th was a holiday), so pretty much in one day.

Timeline for him (I will not identify him and will let him post more info if he wants to, but just posting the timeline here).

Oct 6 morning - Interview, 221g for client letter.

Oct 7 - Consulate got the docs.

Oct 10th - holiday

Oct 11th - visa approved, email out to get passport. The processing is taking about 5 days so he know he will get it this Monday.

Hope that helps.

Edited by RoSogolla_221g

Share this post


Link to post

I didn't provide these details in my previous post. Here it is:

1. Interview date & Time: 6th October 7.45 am

2. Case created / Status update:  4th Oct / 6th Oct

3. # of working days so far: 6 days

4. Consulate kept any docs :Resume, 1-797

5. Consulate kept Passport : No

6. VO comment: Need more time to review my petition. Wait for an email. 

7. Color of 221g : Yellow

First H1B Stamping. F1 (expired) to H1B. Biotech/Microbio background

Edited by rajalaks

Share this post


Link to post
16 hours ago, RoSogolla_221g said:

Are you in an EC or EVC model? Based on multiple forums, you should get it in about 1 week as this is just a case of missing document request. You will probably still be stressed and yeah this is no guarantee, but one of the guys who got stuck last week, got his visa approved in 1 day after his company sent the requested doc. The consulate asked for passport and that has taken 5 days to process, but at least he knows it is approved and done with. So hope for the best.

I am in EC model (direct full time employee).

I am very stressed. Let's see what happens.

Share this post


Link to post
On ‎10‎/‎14‎/‎2016 at 2:10 PM, Mpate38 said:

I had interview on October 12th. Received 221g and VO asked to email my resume and my microbiology research details. Submitted them on same day. Please share if you received updates processing time.

Thank you 

We are 4 including you. Yours appears to be TAL (Visa Mantis) as well. Apart from us 4, there were 2, one got passport back on 17th and left for US, the other got approved today. They were both non TAL cases for sure.

Did the VO give you any timeline or expected time?

Were you subject to 221g before?

Are you here for F1 or H1?

It would help if you can post the details in the format that others have.

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, RoSogolla_221g said:

We are 4 including you. Yours appears to be TAL (Visa Mantis) as well. Apart from us 4, there were 2, one got passport back on 17th and left for US, the other got approved today. They were both non TAL cases for sure.

Did the VO give you any timeline or expected time?

Were you subject to 221g before?

Are you here for F1 or H1?

It would help if you can post the details in the format that others have.

Interview date & Time: 12th October 7.45 am

2. Case created / Status update:  7th Oct / 12th Oct

3. # of working days so far: 4 days

4. Consulate kept any docs :None

5. Consulate kept Passport : No

6. VO comment: Email documents described on 221g yellow slip. Review may take some time.

7. Color of 221g : Yellow

Third time H1b Visa Stamping. No issues on previous stamping. No 221g.

Share this post


Link to post

Updates on my case -

My employer sent the I-40 on Friday, 14 Oct (visa interview day) and Visa was approved on Monday morning. It reached Richmond post office on Monday and Tuesday was in transit to post office Burrard street. As per Rosogulla's advise went in around 2 to chceck package and it was there :)

Share this post


Link to post

I was looking for much of this info, so sharing with everyone. It is more or less based on the stats/posts in last few months and actual experiences of people who I talked to.

Some info to help you estimate or classify your 221g:

Many of us are here with 221g, but the timelines on various posts are misleading or confusing. To simplify, you need to understand if you are in TAL case or not (oversimplification, I know).

Client/I-140 copy/LCA/petition etc

For VanVisa, Canucks etc, the case has been more of a missing doc, doc verification etc. Typically happens if you are in EVC, EVVC etc model and they need to verify with client. Or else you did not have some doc on you, like copy of 140, LCA etc. Ideally, if you had it with you, you would not be subject to 221g at all. For Client issues, at times, they will just need to get it directly from your client. GOOD NEWS here is that you probably will be in shorter timeline. As long as you get them the doc or your client/employer responds, it is about 24 hrs from doc received to Visa approved. If you have to mail back your passport to consulate, add about 3-5 "working days" (* see below).

Expected wait times are around 6-11 days (2-3 days from interview to receiving docs), rest is visa issuance (1-3 days if they have your passport), 3-5 if you have to send back).

How to avoid some of this or speed up for "missing doc cases"

1. Carry your I140 copy with you. Some employers will not give it to you, and if so, you should contact them immediately after receiving 221g and have them email/fax to consulate ASAP.

2. Carry your LCA or whole petition. My attorney had advised me to do it. I did not need it, but is it really worth wasting few days for 50 sheets of paper?

3. If Client letter etc, follow up immediately to get that doc back to consulate.

TAL

Now this is a totally different beast. Please search online and  you will find many links to TAL. Most are obsolete or short lists, your area may not appear. Remember, it is not you who determined TAL. You may be doing PhD in making tea, but if VO determines it is TAL, then it is TAL. You will likely get your approval, but the wait will be there. Usually you are asked for resume/CV, your publications (usually CV is fine as long as it lists your publications or if you did not publish). The security clearance takes about 14 days in best (majority cases). I have posted elsewhere on it, so will not repeat here. Either way, be prepared for 3-6 weeks of wait. Nothing you can do. Have patience or if you are not the patient kind, do what it takes to maintain sanity. It sucks and I won't sugarcoat it.

How can you help yourself

1. If you had publications or did Master's/PhD (high chance for PhDs), then carry your CV with publications listed. Remember, if they ask you to send in CV later, it adds 1-2 days delay. Carry your publications with you. Copy of Thesis/Dissertation is overkill, they can always find your digital copy. IMO, they are looking for keywords to find you and your research publications.

2. Some people say that its the words you utter and be careful with what you say. I am not sure if that helps, and being too vague might raise more concerns as well. If you did a PhD in making tea and simplify it to only boiling water, I would be suspicious too. Be honest, but yeah, no need to feel you are at a conference. Don't lie.

3. If you do have some docs to send back, do so immediately. If you are F1, let your advisor know.

How can I know if I am in TAL

First you need to convince yourself. Check the list and see if your area is on the list or related to areas on the list. It is vague, but biotech, advanced computing, aerospace etc usually end up there. Yes there is that one friend who was in that area who never got stuck (good you have lucky friends, feel happy for them and move on).

Some tell tale signs are - VO asked for your resume/publications. Asked more about your research/education than your actual employment. You got TAL before. Usually after you get your visa, you can be sure - Your visa will state clearance received <date>. It will be shorter than normal, like 2 years for H1B (even if your I797 has 3 years remaining) or 4 years for F1 (normally it is 5 years).

If I got 221g will I get it again next time

As per my attorney, quite likely. As per my own research, quite likely too, but depends. For missing docs/ docs requested cases, you most likely will not as your issue was likely a one time thing. If you are with same client, and they still need to confirm, it may happen again. For TAL, if you got it once, likely you are flagged in the system and you will get again. My experience was almost as if my profile pulled up for VO and he knew he will have to do a 221g (since I had it once before).

*Delay if your passport was returned. Day 1 you get email to send Passport back. You go to post office to send it back (they give you instructions, it is prepaid label etc). Day 2 the consulate gets it. They may print the same day or take another 1-2 days to get in their system, print etc. So Day 3/4/5 they stamp and ship it. The next day your post office receives it by afternoon or so. You can go in the afternoon to enquire if it is there, else go the next day when you get email to pick it up.

Share this post


Link to post

For folks currently waiting on TAL: user "sukhdeep" posted in Ottawa 221g that he got it earlier this month. That is the most complete stat I found so far - He had interview on Sept 15, first status update on Oct 6th (assume clearance received by consulate), got passport back on Oct 14th. So 16 working days (including date of interview) to get the clearance. Also note that the status keeps going back and forth after passport is received. Multiple people reported this and it is ok. Admin Processing is a generic status that is displayed when ever any administrative work is going on, including TAL clearance etc. or waiting for information from your employer.

Check more in that forum. But here is the summary-

1. Interview date & Time: 15th Sep 9am

2. Case created / Status update:   15th Sep

3. # of working days so far: 19 days

4. Consulate kept any docs : Resume

5. Consulate kept Passport : NO

6. VO comment: We need to do additional processing,  about your studies and research publications and it will take 2-3 weeks

7. Color of 221g : YELLOW

8. Any other info would like to share: Got my first email on Oct 6 to submit passport and docs. Status date changed on Oct7, again status date changed on Oct 11. On Oct 12, status changed to ready for 1 hour then back to AP.On Oct 13 morning, status changed to issued. Hoping to get my passport back by Oct 14.

Received my passport and leaving for US on Oct 16.

Interview questions: Work location. How long in US, MS degree in which field.

Interview was really simple

*******Special thanks to Sukhdeep for the closure************* I wish more people post their experience like him and update once they got the visa.

 

Edited by RoSogolla_221g
Added more info.

Share this post


Link to post

Note: Another Ottawa case. But timeline will help Vancouver folks.

Not sure if there is an easy way to put forum links (moderators please advise). Found another recent case of raj100 on Ottawa. At least provides some timeline on clearance timeframe. Similar to Sukhdeep. took 19 days to get the first update (appears TAL case).

From his post
"I had an interview on August 8th. "
"Research background. I received notification on 19th business day to submit the passport. So if anybody got blue slip and just submitted CV than it will take 14-21 business days to get response from embassy. Try not to get stress out. I didn't find a single case online where anybody got blue slip, CV requested and had to wait for more than 21 days. 

After passport is submitted, then another wait of 3-5 business days to get email that your visa is processed. In these 3-5 business days, email will be received that visa is processed and it will take 4-5 days to get the tracking number but usually you will get email very next day with the tracking number. Then next day, passport will be delivered at the selected location. So total approximately around 1 month."

 

Edited by RoSogolla_221g

Share this post


Link to post

Vancouver folks, if you are not already on this thread, but have some data to share, please post. Also, if you are here for 221g, but have not yet posted, create an account and post your info. We are about 5 here now, and try to meet up, hang out in the evening or weekend.

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, RoSogolla_221g said:

I was looking for much of this info, so sharing with everyone. It is more or less based on the stats/posts in last few months and actual experiences of people who I talked to.

Some info to help you estimate or classify your 221g:

Many of us are here with 221g, but the timelines on various posts are misleading or confusing. To simplify, you need to understand if you are in TAL case or not (oversimplification, I know).

Client/I-140 copy/LCA/petition etc

For VanVisa, Canucks etc, the case has been more of a missing doc, doc verification etc. Typically happens if you are in EVC, EVVC etc model and they need to verify with client. Or else you did not have some doc on you, like copy of 140, LCA etc. Ideally, if you had it with you, you would not be subject to 221g at all. For Client issues, at times, they will just need to get it directly from your client. GOOD NEWS here is that you probably will be in shorter timeline. As long as you get them the doc or your client/employer responds, it is about 24 hrs from doc received to Visa approved. If you have to mail back your passport to consulate, add about 3-5 "working days" (* see below).

Expected wait times are around 6-11 days (2-3 days from interview to receiving docs), rest is visa issuance (1-3 days if they have your passport), 3-5 if you have to send back).

How to avoid some of this or speed up for "missing doc cases"

1. Carry your I140 copy with you. Some employers will not give it to you, and if so, you should contact them immediately after receiving 221g and have them email/fax to consulate ASAP.

2. Carry your LCA or whole petition. My attorney had advised me to do it. I did not need it, but is it really worth wasting few days for 50 sheets of paper?

3. If Client letter etc, follow up immediately to get that doc back to consulate.

TAL

Now this is a totally different beast. Please search online and  you will find many links to TAL. Most are obsolete or short lists, your area may not appear. Remember, it is not you who determined TAL. You may be doing PhD in making tea, but if VO determines it is TAL, then it is TAL. You will likely get your approval, but the wait will be there. Usually you are asked for resume/CV, your publications (usually CV is fine as long as it lists your publications or if you did not publish). The security clearance takes about 14 days in best (majority cases). I have posted elsewhere on it, so will not repeat here. Either way, be prepared for 3-6 weeks of wait. Nothing you can do. Have patience or if you are not the patient kind, do what it takes to maintain sanity. It sucks and I won't sugarcoat it.

How can you help yourself

1. If you had publications or did Master's/PhD (high chance for PhDs), then carry your CV with publications listed. Remember, if they ask you to send in CV later, it adds 1-2 days delay. Carry your publications with you. Copy of Thesis/Dissertation is overkill, they can always find your digital copy. IMO, they are looking for keywords to find you and your research publications.

2. Some people say that its the words you utter and be careful with what you say. I am not sure if that helps, and being too vague might raise more concerns as well. If you did a PhD in making tea and simplify it to only boiling water, I would be suspicious too. Be honest, but yeah, no need to feel you are at a conference. Don't lie.

3. If you do have some docs to send back, do so immediately. If you are F1, let your advisor know.

How can I know if I am in TAL

First you need to convince yourself. Check the list and see if your area is on the list or related to areas on the list. It is vague, but biotech, advanced computing, aerospace etc usually end up there. Yes there is that one friend who was in that area who never got stuck (good you have lucky friends, feel happy for them and move on).

Some tell tale signs are - VO asked for your resume/publications. Asked more about your research/education than your actual employment. You got TAL before. Usually after you get your visa, you can be sure - Your visa will state clearance received <date>. It will be shorter than normal, like 2 years for H1B (even if your I797 has 3 years remaining) or 4 years for F1 (normally it is 5 years).

If I got 221g will I get it again next time

As per my attorney, quite likely. As per my own research, quite likely too, but depends. For missing docs/ docs requested cases, you most likely will not as your issue was likely a one time thing. If you are with same client, and they still need to confirm, it may happen again. For TAL, if you got it once, likely you are flagged in the system and you will get again. My experience was almost as if my profile pulled up for VO and he knew he will have to do a 221g (since I had it once before).

*Delay if your passport was returned. Day 1 you get email to send Passport back. You go to post office to send it back (they give you instructions, it is prepaid label etc). Day 2 the consulate gets it. They may print the same day or take another 1-2 days to get in their system, print etc. So Day 3/4/5 they stamp and ship it. The next day your post office receives it by afternoon or so. You can go in the afternoon to enquire if it is there, else go the next day when you get email to pick it up.

Good job explaining. Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post

Folks stuck in 221G due to TAL in Vancouver, here is an estimation model.

I have been collecting some information across forums to come up with a timeline estimation. Have tried on a few cases and it predicted a decent range (sorry no guarantees).

To find your range based on last few months of pattern do the following.

1. Note your date of interview.

2. Add 14 days for best case and 18 days for worst case. Add any holidays (Canada Thanksgiving/Columbus day). This accounts for working days only. This addition already accounts for your day of interview.

3. Based on your date and the weeks spanned in Step #2, add the number of days for the weekends.

4. The two dates are the estimates of the range when you should see a date change for the first time in CEAC status.

5. Depending on whether they kept the passport (add 2-3 days) or you need to submit your passport (3-5 days), add these passport return times.

For example:

1. Interview on Oct 12th.

2. Add 14 gives me Oct 26th. Add 18 gives me Oct 30.

3. Add 4 days of weekends (Oct 15-16, 22,-23) for best case, gives Oct 30th. Adjust for Oct 29-30 weekend, and you get Nov 1st. For the latter case, add 8 (add 6 as best case, but also add 2 for Nov 5-6 weekend, since you will go into next week. That gives you Nov 7.

4. So you should see your status change in CEAC between Nov 1st to Nov 7th. This is pretty much the time to get your clearance.

5. So for best case, if they kept your passport, you should be getting passport on Nov 3rd to 4th. For the latter case, Nov 10 to 14th.

 

Notes:

1. If you start seeing people getting the date changes sooner, then likely the clearance has speed up (or vise versa). Adjust step 2 accordingly.

2. This is an empirical model, so things can change and this isn't a prophecy.

3. Yes this is basic math, but there is usually a lot of confusion around calendar days, working days, which dates are inclusive etc. This should help address some of that ambiguity.

Share this post


Link to post

Hey man/woman, I am in Ottawa for 221G but your calculation is a good indicator. My interview was on Oct 4th, I got email yesterday (21st) to submit passport. I will do so on Monday so few days after that should be done. 

Edited by biodallas

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×