Laidoff on H-1B and found out I94 has errors now, please advice on next steps?

vin50mech@gmail.com

Hello There, I got laid off on H1-B VISA with X company, they terminated my employment on Nov 18th and told me they will still run existing pay scale which will end on Nov 30th. They gave me severance package for 4 months and told that i can get paid my severance from Dec 1 which puts me till March 30th 2016. I am trying to understand my next steps. Before i lost my job i was India to get visa stamped, when i returned back i found out that  border security officer put wrong information in my I-94, i came on H1-B Visa which is valid till end of 2017 but he updated my profile as visitor B visa which is valid till 4/29/2016. Now i am all worried as per what should i do as i lost my job few weeks ago. I am trying to find a new job ASAP to transfer my current H-1B. I am all confused if i should contact USCIS to update my I-94 which doesn't make sense since i lost my job now, so how would this impact my H1B transfer if i found a job soon or worst case went back to school on F1. How soon can i change my status and my stay here legally? 

Thanks a lot for your advice and help.

Thank you for your prompt response, so what do you mean by this

"New employer's I797 will not have an I94."

I guess what are my options now?

Plan A: I also have some potential job lead so will they be able to get my H-1B visa transfer done with no issues if i get the job ? 

Plan B : I am waiting for my I20 to join school in spring so i can change my status to F1 ?

Please advise

Best Regards,

Vinay

Archived