USA to India via London - DATV required?

champswc2011

Hi, 

I am on H1B (visa not stamped) and planning to go to India via London to get H1B visa stamped in Feb 2014. My F1 visa on passport says expiry date is 13-Dec-2014. Do I need to get Direct Airside Transit Visa(DATV). Layover time in London is 3 hrs.

I went through the http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas-immigration/transitthroughtheuk/visa-transit-airside/ and it says Valid Entry Visa

Do I need DATV ?

Hi, 

I am on H1B (visa not stamped) and planning to go to India via London to get H1B visa stamped in Feb 2014. My F1 visa on passport says expiry date is 13-Dec-2014. Do I need to get Direct Airside Transit Visa(DATV). Layover time in London is 3 hrs.

I went through the http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas-immigration/transitthroughtheuk/visa-transit-airside/ and it says Valid Entry Visa

Do I need DATV ?

If you travel before 13th Dec 2014 you do not need a transit visa

• 3 weeks later...

Hi champswc2011 and jairichi,

I am currently in the same boat as you guys.  My F-1 visa has an expiration date of June 2014 and my H-1B petition was approved in October 2012.  I am going to India for H1-B visa stamping on December 3, 2013 through British Airways (San Francisco - London - Hyderabad)

Can you confirm if you were able to board the flight in US and pass through London without the need to apply for a DATV?  Quick response will be greatly appreciated as no one was able to give me a concrete answer on this issue.

Thanks,

Ani

I am currently in the same boat as you guys.  My F-1 visa has an expiration date of June 2014 and my H-1B petition was approved in October 2012.  I am going to India for H1-B visa stamping on December 3, 2013 through British Airways (San Francisco - London - Hyderabad)

Can you confirm if you were able to board the flight in US and pass through London without the need to apply for a DATV?  Quick response will be greatly appreciated as no one was able to give me a concrete answer on this issue.

Thanks,

Ani

jairichi was not in that situation. You can fly via London without the need for a transit visa as you have a valid F1 visa.

Thanks,

Ani

Hi Ani - I did not travel yet. Best thing is if you live close by San Fran Airprt, you can take your passport and get confirmation with British Airways' rep at check-in kiosk before the actual day of travel.

Archived