H1 transfer and Job change

ishklight

Hi,

I need suggestion from you guys on my situation.

- My am a FTE with a 500 B$ large tech company. My I-94 expires in 2019. I have an approved I-140 with my current employer. I have a masters degree from outside USA and 11 years of work experience in software development. No status issues so far, never changed employer.

- Accepted a job offer from a 200 B$ large tech company. Full time employment. Same area as previous employer. Their immigration team is doing H1 transfer work and will be filing soon. Most likely it will be filed with California service center.

My concern is if I should switch job on transfer receipt. I am not sure if I have to take the risk.

What are the chances of transfer petition getting denied? Should I try to convince them to wait until petition is approved?  

Thank you and have a nice day.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I am in a similar situation to yours.Transferring from one big company to another on H1b receipt.I also have I140.I don't think my new employer will wait for for me anymore(It has already been 3 months since I interviewed with them +bgcheck+visatransferprocess).Also I dont think premium process will be resumed for general pool anytime soon.I think as long as the new company files it properly there will not be any risk.What have you decided.

• 2 weeks later...

@nareshnnk - Your situation is same as mine, had been 4 months after interview, background, H1 filing etc. I decided to go ahead on receipt. But, still have about a couple of weeks time to join. I checked with attorney, and they say even if H1 is denied - there is 60 days grace period to file another petition. That gives some relief, but mostly unlikely for a big company H1 to be denied - but not impossible. Check with your employer on their immigration policies.

Archived