Getting H1B renewal stamp with a different petitioner

shrutik87

I had my first H1B stamped in India on dec 2014 and then I changed my petitioner in August 2015. My old H1B was valid till August 10 2016. Now I have my new I797 and am planning to travel to India. I went online to schedule my interview appointment and the website asked me list of questions such as
1. Do you have a previous H-1B visa (temporary occupation, temporary worker or trainee)? Yes
2.Was your prior H1B visa (temporary occupation, temporary worker or trainee) annotated “Clearance Received” or “Department Authorization”? No
3. Have you ever been refused a H-1B (temporary occupation, temporary worker or trainee) visa before? No
4. Is your previous H-1B visa (temporary occupation, temporary worker or trainee) still valid? No
5. Did your previous H-1B visa (temporary occupation, temporary worker or trainee) expire within the last 12 months? Yes
Was your most recent H-1B visa (temporary occupation, temporary worker or trainee) issued in India after January 1, 2008?Yes

The website then says

Congratulations! You qualify for the “Drop Box” Interview Waiver Program. Please do not schedule an appointment at the Visa Application Center or U.S. Embassy/Consulate.

When you click “Continue” to proceed with your application.

Step 1. Print one copy of the Drop Box Confirmation Letter.
Step 2. Drop off your listed documents at one of our 11 Document Drop-Off locations.
          Current passport and any old passports with a U.S. visa.
          One photograph (per U.S. visa specification).
          Photocopy of form I-797.

Note: Using the Interview Waiver Program does not guarantee visa issuance. The U.S. Embassy/Consulate retains the right to call an applicant in for an interview, if necessary.

I felt this is not right as I changed my petitioner and it did not ask anything about the petitioner.

I then called the US Consulate in Hyderabad and she said if the website says you are eligible then you are and the Petitioner does not matter. She didn't sound very confident when she said that. Does anyone else know about this? Am I really eligible for drop box? I only get to travel for 3 weeks and I don't want to go to India and get stuck. 

Please let me know if anyone has any idea about this new rule

Thank you

• 2 weeks later...

Archived