i94 extension on passport renewal

dchemist

Hello,

When I first came to US on F1 visa, even though my name was written as xxxyyy with last name being blank in my passport, I got my visa with my correct name, xxx yyy so all my relevant documents in USA- my SSN, my D/L, I797 (F1 to H1) etc. have my correct name on them. I got my H1 approved in 2014 and travelled to India later that year for stamping. At that time the visa people would not let me put my name as xxx yyy in my DS160 as a result of which I ended up getting my visa with FNU xxxyyy written for my name.

I was able to get into US without any problems even though my petition had my name listed as xxx yyy. I was given i94 with limited validity based on the expiration date of my passport. I recently got my pp renewed. The issue here is that the H1 visa in my old pp has my name written as FNU xxxyyy. I got my name bifurcated in my new passport so now my name is xxx yyy in my new pp. I want to know if I will have to reapply for a fresh visa based on the name split on my new passport or I can enter USA with my new pp along with the old pp with FNU xxxyyy written in my visa. Please suggest what would be the best route to take here. I would really like to travel to Mexico for a week but I am not sure if the CBP officials will let me in at the POE with different names on my visa and my new pp. Thank you for your time.

Archived