Old employer taking legal action

sj9876

I have a question regarding some contract between me and my employer.

On October 2013 I had signed a contract with my employer and I did not check that there was a condition ‘If I am moving to any end client within 18 months of resignation/termination then I need to pay 30% of my new annual salary’ .

I worked with my employer for  more than 2 years as a contractor and later I got the Full-time position with the client and accepted it. 

Now my employer is saying that he will take legal action against me by considering my old contract papers unless I pay them 30% of my new position salary.

My question is:

1. Can they really sue me or is it against the Labor law to incorporate those contracts(might be illegal)?
  2. If they really take legal action then what are my options ?
  3. Any suggestion to handle this situation better ?

1. Yes. This is cool off period and strictly enforced by Desi consulting companies to avoid losing people like you to the end client.

2. Consult a lawyer. Generally the previous employer should be expecting some money in the form of out of court settlement.

3. Better you be ready to pay the money, negotiate to as low as possible.

Note: This is not a legal advice but just a suggestion based on my experiences and research

Thanks Everyone for your response!! 

I was working with my employer on below situation

My employer---->Vendor---->Prime Vendor----> Client

Right now I am full time to the client. The client never deal with my employer. The client always deal with Prime vendor.Under this situation also does my employer  can take legal action? As because I was thinking If I will move to the vendor or prime vendor then it will be a problem but I moved to client place.

Thanks Everyone for your response!! 

I was working with my employer on below situation

My employer---->Vendor---->Prime Vendor----> Client

Right now I am full time to the client. The client never deal with my employer. The client always deal with Prime vendor.Under this situation also does my employer  can take legal action? As because I was thinking If I will move to the vendor or prime vendor then it will be a problem but I moved to client place.

It depends on the wording of the non-compete. Usually, it applies to all levels.

That's why you need to have a labor lawyer look at it.

These things are not things that a lay person can handle.

Archived