Stamping H4 Visa From Canada

peachbird

Hello Everyone,

I am currently on h1 visa and want to get h4 visa. The current wait time to get change of status to H4 from or within US is huge. To avoid that I want to get my h4 visa stamped. This is not the first time I am planning to switch to H4 visa. Previously I have had changed my status within US itself from H1 to H4 and then back to H1.

1) How risky is it to get h4 stamped in Canada? Please note I have never had h4 stamped on passport before, but I have had change of status to H4 priorly. I have 2 H1's stamped on my passport though.

2) Also if you go on H4 does your H1B clock stop ticking?

Please help.

Thanks,

Peachbird

Could you please answer following two questions:

1) How risky is it to get h4 stamped in Canada? Please note I have never had h4 stamped on passport before, but I have had change of status to H4 priorly. I have 2 H1's stamped on my passport though.

2) Also if you go on H4 does your H1B clock stop ticking?

1. Assuming you have the visa for Canada, stamping of the H4 visa is purely a function of the credibility of your spouses H1 and company.

2. H4 time does not count towards H1 time. You are entitled to a total of 6 years in H1 status and you are still entitled to 5 years if you go to say H4 status after one year in H1 status and remain in H4 status for 6 years in total.

Archived