Do I need a new Visa stamp when I am issued - I797B, but I have valid H1B Visa and I94?

pkt158

Hi,

My Change of employer petition was approved while I was on a vacation abroad. Thus, I have been issued a I797B. I have returned to US for my full time employment with my current employer(X).

Now, I need to move to a new employer(Y) who filed change of employer petition. I believe I need to re-enter US. My H1B visa(X) and I94(X) are valid until Sep-8-2016.

Do I need to get a new H1B visa stamp if I go to Canada or Mexican border?

Could I re-enter from an Asian country using my current employer's(X) H1B stamp, and new employer's(Y)  I797B form? Do I need to get a new Visa stamp if I go to an Asian country?

A bit more information: My passport expires in 2023. My H1B Visa expires in Sep-8-2016.

My Change of employer petition was approved while I was on vacation abroad. Thus, I have been issued an I797B. I have returned to US for my full time employment with my current employer(X).

Now, I need to move to a new employer(Y) who filed the change of employer petition which resulted in I797B. I believe I need to re-enter US. My H1B visa(X) and I94(X) are valid until Sep-8-2016.

Do I need to get a new H1B visa stamp if I go to Canada or Mexico for re-entry to US?

Could I re-enter from India using my current employer's(X) H1B stamp, and new employer's(Y) I797B form? Do I need to get a new Visa stamp if I go to India?

Your existing visa remains valid for use to enter with the latest H1 petition approval. You can even go to the Mexican border, cross over and return with a new I94.

Could I go to Canadian border. I don't have Canadian VISA, could I re-enter without entering Canada?

Your existing visa remains valid for use to enter with the latest H1 petition approval. You can even go to the Mexican border, cross over and return with a new I94.

I had an issue listed in this thread regarding update of I94 expiry - 

http://forum.murthy.com/index.php?/topic/98545-urgent-port-of-entry-i797-change-of-employer-not-used-by-officer/

I have sent my docs to CBP for updating my I94.

Will this change get carried over if I travel to Mexico, and enter with I797B? Or, will I need to file this document again?

I don't have Canadian VISA, but Canada is very close since I am in Washington. Will it be possible for me to exit US and re-enter without entering Canada?

Archived