DHS sting operation: fake university, "students" getting deported

JoeF

From the NYT (sorry, no link allowed here, but search for "new Jersey University Was Fake, but Visa Fraud Arrests Are Real":

"On the surface, the University of Northern New Jersey seemed legitimate. It had a website, with a seal featuring the Latin words “Humanus, Scientia, Integritas,” a list of business-oriented degrees offered and a promise of “an exceptional educational experience.”

It was so exceptional it did not exist.

Instead, the university was a fake, set up by the Homeland Security Department in 2012 as part of a sting operation to ensnare criminals involved in student visa fraud.

One thousand “students” who knowingly enrolled for at least 45 days at the university will shortly be receiving notices to appear in immigration court, and will ultimately have their visas revoked, the government said. Mr. Fishman said all of the recruited students were already living in the United States and were looking for a way to stay. Many did not stay in the New York metropolitan area, but lived and worked throughout the country."

There is lots of legal precedence about sting operations. Do you really think ICE would jeopardize their stuff? They have pretty good lawyers. Susan Su of TVU got sentenced to 16 years, despite her antics and claims by her lawyer and family that she was mentally ill. Check out the court documents (on Pacer or for free on Recap, courtesy of yours truly; I paid for all the documents on Pacer, and the Recap browser extension saved them in the Internet Archive.)

What has mental illness got to do with due process? You have heard of "Guantanamo bay". It is incredibly naïve to think that Human rights have not been affected by the Twin Towers. My last word on this matter in this post. God save the world if the voting percentage is say 50%.

Ms. Su and her lawyer used that as an excuse in her appeal. That failed.

As I said, look up the court documents.

Your claim of entrapment is just BS. That's what my point was. I am sure the ICE lawyers have thought of it, and designed the sting so that a claim of entrapment would not work in a court proceeding.

Whatever you as a lay person can think of, based on some sensationalized BS in the news, lawyers have long ago figured out. Sting operations are routine. This "entrapment" stuff is just BS from a lay person. And mentioning Guantanamo Bay or the Twin Towers in this context is really beyond belief.

Archived