H1B visa - petition available through lottery, however H1B sponsoring firm shut down

sanguine_pm

Hi,

Company A filed for my H1B visa petition in 2013, and it was selected through lottery and I received the petition which is valid until Sep 2016.  

However, this company shut down a few months after filing the petition before I could get the stamping done, and left me in a state of limbo. I do have an approved petition which is valid only until Sep 2016. 

Can a company B use this petition to file for a new H1B visa or a H1B visa transfer? And when is the last date till when this can be done? I had the impression that the petition is valid for 6 years after approval. 

Please advise. 

Many Thanks,

PM 

Hi,

I guess you can try "transferring" it if you have another employer ready to do that. Just make sure its a company rather than a consultancy. I have seen people transferring unused/unstamped petition of 2010 in 2016. So just make sure its a legitimate company and let the attorney handle it for you.

Thanks a lot.

So, if I find a legitimate company to transfer my H1B visa, I should be able to use this petition, right?

I do plan to do this ASAP. However, what's the latest that I can use this petition until, considering my petition officially expires on Sep 2016. 

Can I use this petition for 6 years which is until Sep 2019 or only until Sep 2016? Please confirm. 

Many Thanks,

PM 

Archived