Another Matamoros visa experience

jaydoc

I used these forums quite a lot for my visa stamping and wish to add the experiences here. I decided to renew my H1 at Matamoros for 3 reasons: only 5 hrs away from where I live in the US, reliable service provided for this by Mr. Salvador of Best Western Hotel in Matamoros, and the quick turnover of the passport after the visa interview (this is true for almost all Mexican consulates from what I have read).

I got my Mexican visa from their consulate 2 hrs away from my hometown. This was a 1 day process for me, though the process at the consulate was so much easier compared to getting a Canadian visa (though that can be done online, it involves a wait of at least 10 days). 

I arrived at Brownsville airport, texted Mr. Salvador I had landed,  and took a cab to the Greyhound bus station where he was already waiting for me. We drove to the border, but there was no verification of my Mexican visa by anyone at the border. Made me feel like that whole Mexican consulate trip was useless, but then, who knows? Maybe getting the visa was the way to go. 

We arrived at his hotel in Matamoros. The hotel is quite good, and more than adequate for this short trip. Their restaurant is open almost all the time, and serves great meals for an average price of $8. There is no need to carry Mexican currency, but $1/$5 bills will come in handy. They also accept most US credit cards, though some may need to call their bank to make sure they don;t consider Mexican transactions as fraudulent and leave you stranded without any mode of payment. My room on the 4th floor had great US Verizon network coverage and I never felt out of touch with my family back in the US. The wifi at the hotel is quite fast and completely reliable. 

Anyway, I had my fingerprints the next day and my visa interview the third day and Mr. Salvador drove me to both those appointments. We were always ahead of schedule and made it to those appointments without difficulty. 

While my visa interview went without a hitch, for some reason, they did NOT issue my passport at 3 PM that day like they said they would. I have no idea why this happens, but I have read online (and Mr. Salvador confirmed this) this does happen to people from time to time. At least for me, I know it was not a PIMS issue, as I work for a concern that can successfully communicate with USCIS to ascertain PIMS status updates before its employees travel to get their visa. When I asked them why my passport was not ready, the consulate employee just said "system issues". Anyway, I came back to the hotel and checked in again. 

The next day, I checked my DS-160 status on the CEAC website every 1 hour, and it was always in administrative processing, until about 2:15 PM when it finally changed to ISSUED. I then checked out and drove with Mr. Salvador to the consulate to pick it up, and then to the border again, where you pay 25 cents at the mexican checkpoint and then $6 at US CBP. That process took me about 1.5 hours, The CBP office at the land border is less organized than the CBP process at airports, though this was my first time entering the US by land. 

Overall, the process felt stressful because getting a visa stamped is always stressful. While stamping at one's home country is probably the best choice, for those that wish to do this at a border post, I would certainly recommend Matamoros, and if you don't feel like dealing with language barrier issues or the logistics of getting to the appointments etc on time, then Mr. Salvador offers a reliable service. He also offers to take you around Matamoros for shopping if you want to. I myself did not do this as I had plenty of work to catch up on, but others here have posted about this. 

My only problem was that I had to stay an extra day than is usual, but then most other consulates take longer than 1 day turnaround times to deliver your passport after the interview. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Can you pls let me know your experience about Mexico Visa stamping? Where did you get it done?

I live in Austin, and it is a nightmare to get a Mexico visa here. Nobody picks up the phone. I even went to the Mexican consulate today, but they said they do it only by appointment, but provided no answers on how to take an appointment.

Hi,

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Can you pls let me know your experience about Mexico Visa stamping? Where did you get it done?

I live in Austin, and it is a nightmare to get a Mexico visa here. Nobody picks up the phone. I even went to the Mexican consulate today, but they said they do it only by appointment, but provided no answers on how to take an appointment.

Sorry for replying late. But I rarely check the forums these days. I got my mexico visa from the Atlanta consulate. It was not a big deal. I called, they picked up and told me what I needed to bring. Every Mexican consulate has a website, though the application process is very similar in every consulate as far as I could tell. 

http://consulmex.sre.gob.mx/austin/index.php/home/63

That's for the Austin consulate. They don't seem to need an appointment, but then if that is what they said to you in person, I am not sure what else you could do. 

Archived