Fate of my H1B

sreshty

Greetings to all learned immigration attorneys and experts!

I wish to know the status of my H1B and thus request your response. To save your valuable time I have narrated my scenario so that you can answer in simple YES or NO.

Below are my case facts:

1) I have been working with Company A for past 10 years in India and they filed H1B petition 6 years ago which is valid till March 2016.

2) I did work for Company A's client in USA for a total of 2 years term in multiple entries.

3) Company A might not file for an extension right now.

4) Have an offer from Company B in India who is willing to take me on board and file for a H1B after serving 6 months with them.

Queries/ Questions:

1) What are my odds to retain the current H1B petition in case Company A does not file for extension before it expires? 

2) Correct me if I am wrong after March 2016, my case of H1B will be considered to be a new filing under lottery system again (i.e. under Common Pool).

3) If the above is not true, can Company A or B leverage or claim my H1B slot/ spot that I have been already allotted previously? 

4) Is the above scenario known as CAP Exempt?

5) In case of CAP exempt case, can Company A or B file for an extension or transfer anytime and/or any month post April 2016 by referring to the then expired H1B petition?

6) If yes for the above, can I use the remaining left over 4 years term from the total 6 years period?

7) Especially Company B mentioned that they will initiate a H1B transfer after I serve them for 6 months which would be in the month of Sept 2016. I am not sure if a transfer is possible on an expired H1B petition? 

8) If above is not possible, then they would have to file a new petition again in the month of April 2017, correct?

Any other helpful information related to my case is highly appreciated!

Thank you for your patience.

Sreshty

1) you can utilize remaining portion of H1b with new employer. New employer has to file for H1b under cap-exempt.

2) no need for lottery, you will be cap exempt as you have not used full 6 year of H1b in USA.

3) yes,

4)  yes

5) yes, anytime

6) yes

7) it is possible,

Thank you Rohang and usimmi14.

I have one last question, is there any limitation in time period that my employer have to file the H1B after its validity/ expiration else it is open for undefined period?

In other words, my H1B is expiring in April 2016 and I heard that my employer can apply for a new H1B petition anytime post April 2016 and before 1 year time limit that is before April 2017. Else it is open for the remaining 4 years term or open for undefined period?

JOEF and PONTEVECCHIO appreciate your opinion in my case.

Thanks once again!

Sreshty

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you Rohang and usimmi14.

I have one last question, is there any limitation in time period that my employer have to file the H1B after its validity/ expiration else it is open for undefined period?

In other words, my H1B is expiring in April 2016 and I heard that my employer can apply for a new H1B petition anytime post April 2016 and before 1 year time limit that is before April 2017. Else it is open for the remaining 4 years term or open for undefined period?

You heard wrong. Don't listen to rumors...

The current rule is that you have been in H1 status in the last 6 years to get the remainder. But that doesn't seem to be a hard rule. Murthy attorneys have posted here that even if the time on H1 was farther back, they have been able to get a new H1 for the remainder time.

Archived