Adding dependents to GC process

MeethiS

Hi,

I am on H1B right now and am about to start GC process soon. My question is regarding dependents on the GC application.

Broadly I understand the steps of GC as follows:

Step1: PERM LABOR Certification
Step2: I-140 Immigration petition
Step3: I-485 Adjustment of Status

1. My question is when are the dependent details added to GC application? 
2. As I understand each dependent needs to get the health-check report from doctor in US. When is this required? 
3. When is it must for dependents to be present in U.S. during above steps? My husband has a H4 but he is right now in India, so I need to know when is the latest when he should be traveling to US to get the GC process right?
4. Does the dependent need to have a SSN in any of the steps above?

It might sound confusing and a repeated question; however I would be glad if someone could help me resolve the queries for my situation. I want to choose the right time so that my husband could visit US to get the proper documentation done on his behalf. Not to mention I am doing the GC process to have H4+EAD for him to be able to start working in US.

Regards,
Ruchi

Thanks for your response. I might be eligible for EB1 category and thus step 1 might not be required. 

As I understand from your reply, my spouse needs to apply for EAD once I-140 is approved. And at this time; he is required to be in US. Correct?

Also, until I-140 is approved; dependents are not required to be added to the application, right?

Dependents are mentioned in your application and must file their own AOS when the dates become current. PERM takes at least 6 months or more. Your Priority date is likely to be some time away. In the meantime you can stay in H1 status and he can work on the H4 EAD once your I-140 is approved. You are jumping the gun a bit.

Archived