H1b to F1

dharmateja

Hello,

My name is Teja. I am currently working on H1 (approved in Oct 2015) and want to do a MBA/ MS in Analytics. If I do a full time masters and switch from H1 to F1 visa. What would be my implications. Do I have to apply for a new H1 after I graduate from the one year course or will the current H1 gets revived at the end of my course. Please let me know from your knowledge or experience if the full time course is worth it or if it is better to do it part time staying on H1.

Thanks everyone.

Hi there,

Am Nina. Working as scientist in a Pharma company. Extending the above topic, am working on H1b 2nd term, my employer is taking forever to file GC for me and on top of it, am not feeling job security here, so am just looking possible ways to get out of the company and do PhD in Oncology. But if nothing works out, instead of leaving US for an year after completion of 6 years of H1b visa period, can I just change my Visa status to F1, and once I finish my PhD, I can use OPT and then look for H1b sponsors. Is that acceptable?

Thanks Rahul and Jairichi for your informative reply.

I have done Masters and graduated in 2013. I got my H1 in 2015 so I have not used my 6 year quota of H1. Based on what is being said, I can go back to university on F1 and use the remaining years once I graduate. Do I need to do any paperwork or get any documents for this from the university or the employer that sponsored my H1b for this process. Thanks again for the information.

I have done Masters and graduated in 2013. I got my H1 in 2015 so I have not used my 6 year quota of H1. Based on what is being said, I can go back to university on F1 and use the remaining years once I graduate. Do I need to do any paperwork or get any documents for this from the university or the employer that sponsored my H1b for this process. Thanks again for the information.

At least get a copy of I797 from employer.

Hi there,

Am Nina. Working as scientist in a Pharma company. Extending the above topic, am working on H1b 2nd term, my employer is taking forever to file GC for me and on top of it, am not feeling job security here, so am just looking possible ways to get out of the company and do PhD in Oncology. But if nothing works out, instead of leaving US for an year after completion of 6 years of H1b visa period, can I just change my Visa status to F1, and once I finish my PhD, I can use OPT and then look for H1b sponsors. Is that acceptable?

Your plan till OPT is fine. To get fresh 6 years on H1B you need to be outside US for a year after which a cap subject H1B petition has to be filed.

Hi there,

Yes you can.

Copy of your 797 is all you need. For COS to F1, you can file it yourself.

• 9 months later...

Hello,

Just extending on Nina's question. If we have a H1 already from Company A and then if we decide to do STEM related masters and move to F1, in that case after graduation :

1) Can we use OPT for 12 months and extended STEM OPT for another 12 months both with new Company B and then can Company B file H1 transfer ?

or

2) When Company B hires, should they immediately file H1 transfer ?

Background: I am asking this question as I have already used 4 years of my H1 and through option 1, it gives more time for company B to file my GC and also gives additional time for me as well to stay in US.

Thanks,

Rekha

Archived