221g Blue Slip - H1B - Ottawa

2016emc2

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Ram,

Yes to both. Another thing, I checked the status of my application yesterday and it was updated yesterday, although the status remains the same - admin proc. Is that a good sign, do you know?

Hey guys,

This is my week 5

I came to Ottawa for first time H1 Stamping.

I am transitioning from B1 to H1B

The Consular officer asked for my CV and certain documents to prove legal admissibility on March 7 (date of my interview) and it has been a waiting game since then.

My Employer is desperate to get me back to US because the project, I was hired for, is in bad shape.

After all these weeks, yesterday my Case Update Date changed from 7 March to 4 April and it got me a little excited, but today I hopelessly kept waiting but nothing came up. (Been reading about status changes one day after date changes in many cases)

Though this is a lesson learnt for me personally, as I think I should have spent this time in India, I wanted to seek your advice on the following.

1- Do you think it's worth waiting here or should I give to my employer's request and ask for my passport back, and head back to India. This is Week 5 for me here.

2- I was issued a Yellow 221G and I have submitted all the documents they asked, via email. The status is still "send documents". Should I be worried about it? 

Lastly, @meghna9488 did you hear something from them after date change?? Please let me know.

Thanks all and good luck

Hi everyone,

I did receive a status change again yesterday. It indicated Adminstrative processing again. But this morning I got an email from the US consulate at Ottawa to send my passport. I'm in Toronto so I followed the instructions they sent for overnight shipping via a secure post office courier service which is for free.

I'm hoping this is an indication that the tide has changed! I think I should get the approval soon but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Hi everyone,

I did receive a status change again yesterday. It indicated Adminstrative processing again. But this morning I got an email from the US consulate at Ottawa to send my passport. I'm in Toronto so I followed the instructions they sent for overnight shipping via a secure post office courier service which is for free.

I'm hoping this is an indication that the tide has changed! I think I should get the approval soon but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

This is great, from what I have read they ask for passport when it's time to issue a stamp.

I hope I get to hear from them sooner than later

Never fathomed a simple stamp could throw me in a limbo that is already 5 weeks old

Good Luck Meghna!!

@meghna9488...when they ask for passport then it usually means they have got approval in the system.

sometimes it takes 3 to 4 business days for them to see that in their system....so don't worry if it takes a little longer to get ur passport back. ( usually 5 business days from the time they receive ur passprot)

another thing...after u get ur passport check in ur Visa if its written that a clearance is received...if so

1. ur Visa will most likely be valid for only 2 years

2. the next time u go for Visa , u will most definitely be subjected to the same check again...(so at that time its better to go to home country)

@mrwaiting...1. u can write an email to the consulate asking for ur passport back..

and make sure to mention to them to keep your processing going on .....once their processing is complete then they will ask for ur passport and u need to fly back to Canada to give them that.

option 2 . u can have ur case withdrawn in Ottawa and go to India to apply again from fresh....this might again end up in the same processing as u had before in ottawa.

@mrwaiting...1. u can write an email to the consulate asking for ur passport back..
and make sure to mention to them to keep your processing going on .....once their processing is complete then they will ask for ur passport and u need to fly back to Canada to give them that.

option 2 . u can have ur case withdrawn in Ottawa and go to India to apply again from fresh....this might again end up in the same processing as u had before in ottawa.

Hi Ram,

Thanks for the advice.

There has been a positive development today.

My status update date changed yesterday and today in the morning the status changed from Admin Proc. to Issued.

After almost an hour, I got an email that DOS has released some documents to the CPC for pick up along with a tracking number.

I have two questions for you:

1- I did not get any email that Admin processing has been completed and collect you passport and visa, like some other people in the thread above (refer to samstrong on page 2), is that okay?

2- The CEAC page says Your visa is in final processing. The status is Issued. is that safe to assume that my passport is stamped?

Sorry if questions are stupid, just want to make sure in time 

Hope the seventh week is last week in Ottawa

Thank you

Hi all,

I have attended interview today and got a blue slip 221g in ottawa. The VO has asked me for my resume which i handled over to her and then she asked to update the resume with my masters research project. Any idea on how long does this process take?This is my extension. Please share your thoughts.

Thanks,

Nikhita

@meghna9488...when they ask for passport then it usually means they have got approval in the system.

sometimes it takes 3 to 4 business days for them to see that in their system....so don't worry if it takes a little longer to get ur passport back. ( usually 5 business days from the time they receive ur passprot)

another thing...after u get ur passport check in ur Visa if its written that a clearance is received...if so

1. ur Visa will most likely be valid for only 2 years

2. the next time u go for Visa , u will most definitely be subjected to the same check again...(so at that time its better to go to home country)

Hi everyone,

I'm sorry for giving the update on my visa this late. But I got my stamped passport with my visa in it on 11th april, 2016. The process, I have to say was smoother than I thought. I was notified that the Visa has been issued on the 14th Business day since my interview( as was mentioned earlier by @ram44!

I travelled from Toronto to Ottawa the same day and then waited to receive an email from the postal service in Canada( Canada Post) that the passport was ready for pick up.

I'd really recommend waiting to get that email if you've instructed for the Consulate to ship the passport to a pick up location.

And the next day I got the email, and returned to the US without any hiccups.

I personally would really recommend going to Canada for stamping if you've got any issues with you're H1B like you work at a consulting firm or you had rejects/ RFEs or MTRs in the past.

I really thought that the entire process took 3 weeks but it was a smooth one nonetheless!

Best of luck everyone....just have patience..... :)

• 2 weeks later...

hello rakum123....if you did a Masters in US and were asked about projects in Masters degree during the interview  or maybe then asked for a resume/C.V. during or after the interview.......then most likely your case went for a Mantis check.....

It will take about 16 business days after the interview for the check....if everything is clear then they will issue your visa.

Hello Guys,

I am a Permanent Resident of Canada but Indian Citizen and my family lives in Ottawa but I have been working on H1b in US from last 2 yrs and I did my masters in Information Systems from New York., I have my I-140 Approved.

I am going for my visa stamping in Ottawa on 19th because my family is there but I guess there are issues with Masters Student going to Ottawa for stamping, I work on EVC model with the same client from the last 3 yrs and I don't have a Client letter, its the policy.

Please suggest what should i Do?

Hello Guys,

I am a Permanent Resident of Canada but working in New York on H1b visa, I have done my masters from US and will be going for stamping on 19th to Ottawa because my family lives in Ottawa, Please suggest me what should I do because I have heard there are issues with h1b stamping in Ottawa

@ravi21....i would highly recommend you not to go to Ottawa for stamping...

may be try Toronto....but definitely search this forums on Toronto and get to know if there are similar issues there as well.

type "Toronto resumes: in the keyword search

@ravi21....i would highly recommend you not to go to Ottawa for stamping...

may be try Toronto....but definitely search this forums on Toronto and get to know if there are similar issues there as well.

type "Toronto resumes: in the keyword search

thanks sir.

• 1 month later...

Hello guys,

Not sure where start from but I am also stuck here at Ottawa with 221-G. They asked my research and gave my passport with a blue slip. Almost close to 3 weeks now. Tried emailing them and got reply saying "Your application is still undergoing administrative processing in order to verify your qualifications for the visa.  Administrative processing often lasts about 90 days, but in some instances, it can take several months or even years longer"

I booked an apt through AIRBNB. Decently expensive but it works for now. Hope, i get to hear back from them soon. 

Saurabh

Hi Saurabh,

I am in the same situation as you are. This was my second H1b stamping, went for my interview in Ottawa. the lady officer asked about my research work in the university and asked for my resume. She spent 2-3 mins on my resume continuously typing on her system and in the end told me that she needs Additional Processing. She returned my passport with blue slip with no ticks for additional documents. Its been a week already and I am stuck in Ottawa. I have done my Phd from Germany and doing Post doc in US. So have no education from USA.

I had my previous stamping Toronto that went smooth, so I am not sure what went wrong this time. Did you get any update from the embassy ? I was wondering if the international students office at University can contact the embassy and speeden the process. 

I hope this whole ordeal comes to end soon.

shuchi

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Saurabh,

I am in the same situation as you are. This was my second H1b stamping, went for my interview in Ottawa. the lady officer asked about my research work in the university and asked for my resume. She spent 2-3 mins on my resume continuously typing on her system and in the end told me that she needs Additional Processing. She returned my passport with blue slip with no ticks for additional documents. Its been a week already and I am stuck in Ottawa. I have done my Phd from Germany and doing Post doc in US. So have no education from USA.

I had my previous stamping Toronto that went smooth, so I am not sure what went wrong this time. Did you get any update from the embassy ? I was wondering if the international students office at University can contact the embassy and speeden the process. 

I hope this whole ordeal comes to end soon.

shuchi

Did you get any updates ? I am in the same boat.

Hello Guys,

I also had similar experience on 5th, July 2016. VO asked me about my master's degree program and more questions related to which project I have done in masters. I told VOI have not done any project during master's, took comprehensive exam and explained about it. After I  mentioned master's in pharmaceutics, VO gave me 221 G.  VO gave my passport back and took resume and issued 221G blue slip asking for description of master degree program. No questions were asked related to employer or client.

Is there anyone here who were asked for description of master degree program?

Any input will be highly appreciated. 

Thanks.

They will put you in Admin Processing if your research work or technology you are working in is in TAL list. They will also turn the passport if that is the case. There is one of my friend who had this issue. But resolvld in 6 working days in Vancouver in June 2016

Hi guys.

I have been living and working in New York for 3,5 years and got my second petition for O-1 visa approved by USCIS. I didn't leave the country during this time and decided to get my visa stamped this year. I had an interview in Toronto on May 25 and got 221g green slip.. I had all my documents with me and gave them to the officer. A week after they called to verify my employment to 3 of my employers (I have 5 totally, employed through agent.) A week after, same day, they reached out other 2 employers via email. It will soon be 2 months and I still haven't heart from them.. 

Needless to say how many complications this situation causes.. I left a whole life in New York for a few days in Canada grabbing just a couple of t-shirts. And now it's been a 1,5 months and I still can't come back and not sure if I will.. 

Please share your experience, any feedback is very much appreciated..

Hi guys.

I have been living and working in New York for 3,5 years and got my second petition for O-1 visa approved by USCIS. I didn't leave the country during this time and decided to get my visa stamped this year. I had an interview in Toronto on May 25 and got 221g green slip.. I had all my documents with me and gave them to the officer. A week after they called to verify my employment to 3 of my employers (I have 5 totally, employed through agent.) A week after, same day, they reached out other 2 employers via email. It will soon be 2 months and I still haven't heart from them.. 

Needless to say how many complications this situation causes.. I left a whole life in New York for a few days in Canada grabbing just a couple of t-shirts. And now it's been a 1,5 months and I still can't come back and not sure if I will.. 

Please share your experience, any feedback is very much appreciated..

Damn !... seems like waiting game.... did you see any updated date in you case ?

Archived