H1B Extension in process - Driving License

kirshi

Hi Team,

Thanks a lot for your valuable time and advice through this portal.

I have my H1B Approved till 2018 but its (797B) my company A has also filed 1-94 Extension which is in process as my previous i-94 expired, I went to DMV to renew my permit, however they have denied and said they need 797 which has I-94 and that too original, I have explained them that request for i-94 Extension is in process as it was filed well before my old one expired and as per USCIS general process it would take 4-6month's, they suggested to get back once I have received the same after 4-6 months.

in such situations without license till 4-6 months is not possible practically, so I am not sure what I need to do at this point.

Any suggestion are greatly appreciated !!!!

Thanks in advance,

k5

DL rules and laws varies per State. You should check with other DMV offices in your area or with DMV supervisor in that office. 

In Virginia, DMV extends DL for 1 year depending upon extension filed date. In Texas, they don't allow it.  You need to have approved hard copy of I 797. 

One option is to do premium processing so DL can be renewed. 

Thanks Sqlnin !!

I wish and hope that law should relook in to such issues as it is very difficult for people in such situation with valid extension filed and are not out of status, living without driving license till Extension approval is not an easy task, they should have given some short temporary license based on some conditions.

Anyways thanks for the advice.

K5 

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Sqlnin !!

I wish and hope that law should relook in to such issues as it is very difficult for people in such situation with valid extension filed and are not out of status, living without driving license till Extension approval is not an easy task, they should have given some short temporary license based on some conditions.

Anyways thanks for the advice.

K5 

As far as I know, doing PP is the only smooth and best solution

They(DHS/USCIS/DMV) are all working in unison to get more and more money from us legal immigrants

I was in same situation i tried 3 different DMV offices finally i got DL extension ...you can request them to go thru SAVE option , DMV file a case in SAVE to get your status , it takes 5 days to respond by USICS to DMV once responded , you will get DL extension as per USICS response to DMV.

Archived