TN Visa holder as a Passive partner in US firm


Recommended Posts



I am on TN visa and would like to know that can i become partner / shareholder in a S CORP in which major shareholder is a US Citizen.


Can I have share  ratio  of 50:50  for dividend purpose ?

Can I get a TN from this firm and run my W2 from this S CORP ? 

I am not sole owner in this firm.


As per the law "

  • An individual cannot obtain TN visa status for a company that he/she solely owns. 8 CFR § 214.6 (b). An individual also cannot obtain TN visa status for a company in which he/she is the controlling shareholder. Id.


My green card is also filed by another firm which runs my W2.




Link to comment
  • 4 months later...


This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.