EB2 NIW and EB2

GCEB1

Dear All,

I am a PhD student specializing in pharmaceutical drug delivery research but worked in the US in pharmaceutical industries for more than 5 years before joining for PhD.

Recently, I came across the EB2 NIW. I have a question that I would like to clarify regarding the difference between EB2 and EB2-NIW.

I read from the posted websites that for EB2-NIW, there is no requirement for job offer letter as well as labor condition approval but for general EB-2, a job offer letter and labor conditional approval are must.

My question is, say an individual files for I-140 under EB2 NIW and another individual files for I-140 under general EB2 (assume that he already got his labor cleared) and say both of them got their approval at the same time, would there be any difference between these two for filing I-485 in terms of their waiting period?

In other words, can the individual who got approval under EB2-NIW apply earlier for I-485 than the general EB2 category candidate? Or the waiting time for filing I-485 is same for both irrespective of the EB2-NIW or EB2 general category?

Does the nationality/ country of origin matters here?   

Please share your thoughts and advice. Thank you for your time.

Archived