MS in Computer Science When Green Card is in process

Hello

My employer has filed green card and my H-1B LCA shows employment category as "Software Developers, Systems Software".

I am specialized in a suite of software that I primarily work on. I build some utility programs, scripts to make my job easier. I have also delivered enterprise web applications. I have growing interest towards software engineering and I am very eager to learn new things. I spend a considerable amount of time learning subjects in computer science. However because my major (>6 years) experience is in that special software suite, I am unable to find a job in core software company.

Hence, I am planning to pursue online MS in Computer Science to expand my professional career to the world of Software Engineering and make quality use of time I spend on learning. It will take about 2 years to get me that degree. Also after 2 years, my 6 years of H-1B will be over.

Question : Will my new employer be able to file Green Card for me in the same category to keep the same priority date?

You can't use experience you gained while working for that employer for the GC. That includes a degree. Obviously, the degree isn't needed for your job.

No, the employer is not using the experience I gained while working with them. I have >5 years of experience prior to joining this company. My plan is to finish MS in CS and switch the job while keeping the priority date.

No, the employer is not using the experience I gained while working with them. I have >5 years of experience prior to joining this company. My plan is to finish MS in CS and switch the job while keeping the priority date.

Yes, that's possible. You will have I-140 approved in the next 2 years and then if you change jobs, the new employer can file again and potentially keep the same priority dates.

Archived