RFE for a Product Marketing Engineer position

RMS2015

I have a PhD in Materials Science from a reputed US University. I was recently hired by a high-tech equipment manufacturing company as a Product Marketing Engineer. The position requires understanding and handling of complex technical issues relating to the equipment, for marketing and business development, which clearly cannot be performed by someone without a (minimum) bachelor's degree in the same field. My H1B transfer was filed with a Market Research Analyst (MRA) code, but generated an extensive RFE specially questioning fulfillment of the "specialty occupation" criterion. Upon reading the RFE, it seems to me that MRA was an incorrect code to being with. In case we have to reapply for the H1B, what might be a more relevant SOC code to use? How about Sales Engineer? It clearly states in the code description that the min educational requirements are an engineering degree, but does not specify exactly in what discipline. Could this potentially cause another RFE? Is a Sales Engineer job code in general subject to an RFE? Thanks for any comments/suggestions.

• 2 weeks later...

A sales engineer could be an appropriate occupation, but it would be a good idea to review the different types of engineering occupations. At this point though you and your employer will have to decide whether it is possible to withdraw the existing case, whether it makes sense to pursue the existing case or some other option. In order to evaluate the legal consequence of each possible course of action, it is essential to speak directly with an attorney who can gather all the necessary facts to advise you and your petitioner correctly.

Archived