I94 Extension after PP renewal

avlesk

Per my attorney's advice, I went to the CBP Deferred Inspection office and got my I94 corrected to the full period of my visa.

I understood from my attorney that the CBP office will provide full I94 if the passport is valid for more than 6 months. He can cut it short to passport expiry only if the validity of the passport is less than 6 months. 

In my case, at port of entry the officer gave I94 only till passport validity by mistake. Quite relieved now.

Ranjit and Vishal,

You can visit the below link and download the deferred inspection site list from the right side. This is what my attorney shared with me http://www.cbp.gov/document/guidance/deferred-inspection-sites.

There is no appointment required. I just went to the Boston CBP office and entered my name. After waiting for few mins, the officer asked for my current passport. I explained her that my passport is currently valid for 8 months but the I94 had been given by mistake till PP expiry and not until the visa validity. She took it and asked me to wait outside (we are not allowed to wait inside). After that, she came and delivered the corrected passport and the new I94. It was reflecting electronically as well.

Please note - Your PP should have been valid for more than 6 months at least for this. The CBP office didn't encourage phone calls. They won't listen to your issue over phone and would ask you to come and visit their Deferred Inspection counter

• 2 months later...

Good to know about this avlesk. I am in the same situation, my old passport is valid till Feb 1st 2016 and visa till July 2017 but I was given an I94 till passport validity.

I wrote to Seattle deferred inspection site via email (they are one of the few ones taking correction requests for i94 via email), but they denied the request. Do you have a link to documentation or some such thing I can refer them to so that I can have my i94 corrected.

Thanks!

Ranjit and Vishal,

You can visit the below link and download the deferred inspection site list from the right side. This is what my attorney shared with me http://www.cbp.gov/document/guidance/deferred-inspection-sites.

There is no appointment required. I just went to the Boston CBP office and entered my name. After waiting for few mins, the officer asked for my current passport. I explained her that my passport is currently valid for 8 months but the I94 had been given by mistake till PP expiry and not until the visa validity. She took it and asked me to wait outside (we are not allowed to wait inside). After that, she came and delivered the corrected passport and the new I94. It was reflecting electronically as well.

Please note - Your PP should have been valid for more than 6 months at least for this. The CBP office didn't encourage phone calls. They won't listen to your issue over phone and would ask you to come and visit their Deferred Inspection counter

Archived