Need F1 stamping on OPT EAD

chashu123

I first entered US on H4. Got COS to F1 to pursue masters in Mar 2013. 

I am currently working on F1 OPT. My EAD card says valid till April 2015. I applied for STEM OPT Extension and it just got approved. My company will file for H1B in April 2015 through premium processing.

Meanwhile my husband is on H1B with a pending PERM(expected in April-May). Once PERM is approved, he will file I140 through premium processing.

I wish to travel to India to attend my sister's wedding in June. But I heard there are risks with getting F1 stamped on OPT. Could you please advise if this is advisable? Also are the risks different in the event, my H-1B application:
a) DOES get picked in the lottery and H-1B gets approved by May
b) does NOT get picked in the lottery and I am still on F1 OPT

Am I better off in case b) ?
  • 2 weeks later...

What documents can help strengthen my chances for F1 stamping ? Any particular consulate that I should avoid?

If F1 gets rejected, I will have to apply for H-1B stamping, if selected in lottery. If both don't work out, I can apply for H-4 and then apply for EAD(based on my husband's approved I140) once here in US. Question is: Does rejected F1 impact my future chances for H1B/H4 visa stamping? Also, my old H4 visa stamped on passport is already valid till Sep 2015. Will I still need to apply for H4 stamping?

What documents can help strengthen my chances for F1 stamping ? Any particular consulate that I should avoid?

If F1 gets rejected, I will have to apply for H-1B stamping, if selected in lottery. If both don't work out, I can apply for H-4 and then apply for EAD(based on my husband's approved I140) once here in US. Question is: Does rejected F1 impact my future chances for H1B/H4 visa stamping? Also, my old H4 visa stamped on passport is already valid till Sep 2015. Will I still need to apply for H4 stamping?

You can't avoid particular consulate, all consulates are one and same.

In worst case, get your H4 and later on you can work on H4 EAD.

Carry all your F1 related documents that include I20, W2, pay stubs, EAD card, OPT-EAD extension approval, employment letter etc.

Rejection of F1 stamping will not have adverse impact on H1B. Yes, you can use the valid H4 visa and a copy of your spouse I797 to enter US.

H4 stamped on passport(and husband's H-1B)  show validity till Oct 2015. I had a change of status from H4 to F1. Is my old H4  still valid?

• 5 months later...

I first entered US on H4. Got COS to F1 to pursue masters in Mar 2013. 

I am currently working on F1 OPT. My EAD card says valid till April 2015. I applied for STEM OPT Extension and it just got approved. My company will file for H1B in April 2015 through premium processing.

Meanwhile my husband is on H1B with a pending PERM(expected in April-May). Once PERM is approved, he will file I140 through premium processing.

I wish to travel to India to attend my sister's wedding in June. But I heard there are risks with getting F1 stamped on OPT. Could you please advise if this is advisable? Also are the risks different in the event, my H-1B application:
a) DOES get picked in the lottery and H-1B gets approved by May
b) does NOT get picked in the lottery and I am still on F1 OPT

Am I better off in case b) ?

Hi, Did you stamp your F1?

• 7 months later...

Archived