F1 student (previously on J1) should get J1 waiver before of after OPT application

copepod1414

Hi

I was on J1 in the past, and transitioned to F1 for my PhD (expected to finish in 2015).

I already obtained the 3 letters for NORI application in Dec 2013 from India, but haven't applied the US Department of State yet.

1. Do I need to take these letters to the Indian Embassy in NY before applying to US Department of State?

2. I want to obtain OPT after my F1 expiry, and eventually transition to an academic H1B. Should I wait until I obtain my OPT prior to J1 waiver application?

3. Is there a validity date for the 3 letters for NORI application from the date when it was obtained?

Please suggest.

Thanks

Deb

I was on J1 in the past, and transitioned to F1 for my PhD (expected to finish in 2015).

I already obtained the 3 letters for NORI application in Dec 2013 from India, but haven't applied the US Department of State yet.

1. Do I need to take these letters to the Indian Embassy in NY before applying to US Department of State?

YES. read this blog http://chemgc205.tumblr.com/

2. I want to obtain OPT after my F1 expiry, and eventually transition to an academic H1B. Should I wait until I obtain my OPT prior to J1 waiver application?

In order to be eligible for OPT, at the time of application, one must be in a F1 status (which you are). So, your OPT application shouldn't be effected by your waiver process. But, at the time of filing your H1B application, you MUST have waiver in hand.

3. Is there a validity date for the 3 letters for NORI application from the date when it was obtained?

since they are just one year old, i am sure Indian consulate will accept.

Please suggest.

Thanks

Deb

Archived