B1 to H1

rd127

Hi all,

I am currently in India have B1 visa from company A. I changed my company to B and they applied for my H1. I got laid off recently so trying to find options now.

Is it possible for me to travel to US using my B1 visa,  try to find a job and then transfer my H1 to a new company?

Any suggestions are really appreciated.

Thanks

Are you sure?? Can a person enter on B1 without knowing to the employer??

When I applied for a visitor visa I was given a B1/B2 visa. During my last year of PhD in France I entered US to attend job interviews with that visa. I clearly told immigration officer at POE that I am entering US to attend job interviews and showed him invitation letters. He admitted me on B1 status.

Sorry for asking the same question again.. I am no longer with the company that applied for my B1 visa. Will that be fine if I travel using that B1? I mean do I need any documentation from the company at port of entry?

My plan is to travel to US and attend job interviews then change my status to H1.

Thanks

Sorry for asking the same question again.. I am no longer with the company that applied for my B1 visa. Will that be fine if I travel using that B1? I mean do I need any documentation from the company at port of entry?

My plan is to travel to US and attend job interviews then change my status to H1.

Thanks

Your B1 is not tied to any employer. JoeF cleared you that in his response. And, so no document from employer is needed. But, you cannot file a COS. You need to exit US and enter with a valid H1B visa and I797.

Your B1 is not tied to any employer. JoeF cleared you that in his response. And, so no document from employer is needed. But, you cannot file a COS. You need to exit US and enter with a valid H1B visa and I797.

Well, if the OP had an approved H1 before, and find an employer, the employer could file an H1 petition with COS. COS only requires that the person is in valid status in the US.

Sometimes, the officers at the POE annotate the I-94 with no EOS/no COS. In  such cases, a COS would not be possible, of course.

Well, if the OP had an approved H1 before, and find an employer, the employer could file an H1 petition with COS. COS only requires that the person is in valid status in the US.

Sometimes, the officers at the POE annotate the I-94 with no EOS/no COS. In  such cases, a COS would not be possible, of course.

Yes, that makes sense.

Archived