Looking to renew Indian passport and change name and have a couple of issues around this.

NYC2INDIA

I apologize if this is in the wrong forum but I couldn't find a more suitable one.

I am currently living in New York and my passport is up for renewal shortly. Here is a (hopefully clear) rundown of my situation:

• My current passport which was issued in Dubai and is a hand-written passport is set to expire in March and I am getting started on the renewal process.
  • My current passport does not split my name between first name and last name - My entire name is handwritten on the given name line.
  • My H-1B visa, which is valid until August 2015 shows "FNU" as my first name and "John Doe" as my last name.
  • My social security card, on the other hand, shows my first name as "John Doe" and my last name as "LNU.
  • Because of this, I haven't been able to get a drivers licence in the last few years that I have been here in addition to issues when opening up bank accounts, getting a phone connection, etc.

Since it is time for me to renew my passport, I figure this is the best time to get all of this sorted out. My question is how exactly I would go about doing this.

1. Can I get my passport renewed and the name changed at the same time, i.e., can it be one application? If I have to do it in multiple applications, which one should I do first?
  2. I'm assuming my H-1B visa stamped in my old passport will be returned to me attached to new passport and I will not have to get the H-1B visa stamped again but I would appreciate if someone confirmed this.
  3.  How do I get my name fixed with the SSA? Do I just submit a name change application once I get the new passport?
  4. Anything else I should know before I get started with all of this?

I believe these are all my questions for now. Thanks in advance for all your help.

If you are an Indian citizen then name change is not an easy process. You need to advertise in papers followed by getting a court order. Talk to a good attorney in your home country.

Does this need to be done even if I'm just splitting my name between first name and last? The BLS India website seemed to indicate that I would only need a sworn affidavit. This is what the website said.

• For split of name, duly notarized Sworn Affidavit is required giving old name (surname) (given name) and new name (surname) (given name).

Does this need to be done even if I'm just splitting my name between first name and last? The BLS India website seemed to indicate that I would only need a sworn affidavit. This is what the website said.

• For split of name, duly notarized Sworn Affidavit is required giving old name (surname) (given name) and new name (surname) (given name).

You are correct. I apologize for my wrong suggestion.

No problem!

I'm still a little confused about the whole process. 

1. Can I apply to renew my passport and split my name at the same time? Or do they have to be different applications?

2. After I get that taken care of, what are the next steps? Do I have to let USCIS know? How do I get that done? Do DHS and SSA need to be notified as well?

Thanks again for your help

No problem!

I'm still a little confused about the whole process. 

1. Can I apply to renew my passport and split my name at the same time? Or do they have to be different applications?

2. After I get that taken care of, what are the next steps? Do I have to let USCIS know? How do I get that done? Do DHS and SSA need to be notified as well?

Thanks again for your help

1. Fill the application form mentioned in the following link. This will help you to renew and change name.

http://www.passport.blsindia-usa.com/changename.php#form

2. Yes, you need to update it with CBP & SSN offices.

If possible contacting the consulate depending on your state of residence by phone or in-person visit will be the best thing to do.

If you get the name split up in new passport it should be OK. The new passport will mention that holder previously travelled using passport No. xxxxxxx and all valid visas in the old passport are not cancelled.

You can use that to take care of SSN.

BLS is third party service so only the consulate can decide on that.

Archived