Termination of Job & Unemployment in CA

gc4eb3

About an year ago I received GC, yesterday my employer terminated me with vague reason and little severance pay. In California it is at-will employment, and I also don't want to fight, just want to concentrate my energy on job search.

Now ...

1. Can I claim unemployment? Does it cause any issues at the time of citizenship? It took >12 years for GC, no point in getting into another queue for citizenship.

2.  Can I buy health insurance from federal exchanges saying have very little income?

Appreciate any suggestion in this regard, not just answers to above questions.

Thanks in advance.

Thank you JoeF.

They offered COBRA to me, it is too expensive, I am continuing COBRA for this year, because current year gross income may not get me better deal in federal health exchanges. 

I am asking about next year, obama care offered by federal exchanges may be cheaper for low income people, Can I go for it until I get some job? My family doesn't have any serious medical concerns, but never know.

I checked with some consulting companies, it is holiday season, they may hire in Feb/March next year, ... after they get new projects.

Thank you JoeF, for positive outlook and encouragement. I wish your words come true. I am applying every suitable opening I see in the dice, gave resume to all the friends. Hope something will click.

Well, I do know that my employer is hiring, in Orange County, in CA. I interview applicants for Linux positions...

There were big layoffs in the area though, by Broadcom. We got a couple people from there, through recommendations.

So, a good avenue for finding a new job is to check with friends and former co-workers.

• 1 month later...

I was trying to buy health insurance through Covered California (health care exchange). In the income column I claimed the unemployment allowance only, of course that is my current income. Covered California says based on that low income I am not eligible to buy insurance from their exchange, they pushed my application to Medi-Cal.

I am really concerned with this Medi-Cal stuff. Does it create any problems for my immigration status when I apply for citizenship?

Thanks in advance.

Archived