I am presently doing my MS in Construction Management, in future any problem if i do software job?

arjunreddy1

Hi

I have done my Btech in Civil Engineering and presently doing my Masters in Construction Management. As i found out that in USA getting Civil Engineering Job Is Impossible. If i get a Software Job in future, Will it be any problem for me during my OPT,H1 etc?

Please Reply me,I am in a big confusion 

Hi

I have done my Btech in Civil Engineering and presently doing my Masters in Construction Management. As i found out that in USA getting Civil Engineering Job Is Impossible. If i get a Software Job in future, Will it be any problem for me during my OPT,H1 etc?

You won't get OPT for IT jobs since its not your major. And for H1, you need 4 yrs of Bachelor's degree in IT.

You won't get OPT for IT jobs since its not your major. And for H1, you need 4 yrs of Bachelor's degree in IT.

For an H1 in IT he needs a CS or related bachelor.

It is possible to get an H1 for a civil engineering job, of course. It may not be as easy as for an IT job, because there are no shady desi consultancies in civil engineering...

Hi

You need to do some certifications. And it highly depends on how good you are in the field you want to do job.

I know 2 guys both had Masters in Electrical Engineering and facing the similar issue. They did CCNA and CCNP and were able to get job on OPT and H1.

Another guy I come across 5 yrs ago had Btech in Textile Engineering and was working in software development. He was java certified.

You need to do some certifications. And it highly depends on how good you are in the field you want to do job.

I know 2 guys both had Masters in Electrical Engineering and facing the similar issue. They did CCNA and CCNP and were able to get job on OPT and H1.

Another guy I come across 5 yrs ago had Btech in Textile Engineering and was working in software development. He was java certified.

Certifications don't count for an H1.

The OP would need a degree in CS to be able to get a job in CS.

His best option is to find a job in his field of study. That is possible, it just is harder than signing up with some shady desi consulting company.

thanks a lot

your message surely gave me a lot of confidence

Just think practically, if certificates are enough for a IT job then what's the need of CS degree??

There are people who got H1's without a degree but that's very risky. That H1 might be revoked anytime in future.

JoeF / rahul412

All the cases I mentioned are factual. One of them has filed I-485 some time back still working as network administrator.

The best and first option is always to get the job in your field of study. But it is not impossible to get in CS though very difficult (risky in visa stamping).

You guys missed the point "And it highly depends on how good you are in the field you want to do job." this is what really matters. And you can get better only with experience if OP is able to get job on OPT he can gain experience.

JoeF / rahul412

All the cases I mentioned are factual. One of them has filed I-485 some time back still working as network administrator.

The best and first option is always to get the job in your field of study. But it is not impossible to get in CS though very difficult (risky in visa stamping).

You guys missed the point "And it highly depends on how good you are in the field you want to do job." this is what really matters. And you can get better only with experience if OP is able to get job on OPT he can gain experience.

It doesn't matter if some case happened in the past. This is today, not the past.

Lots of stuff was possible in the past that isn't possible anymore.

OPT has to be in the field of study. BY LAW! Period.

And for an H1, the job has to require a degree in the field. A job in IT on H1 is not possible with a degree in Civil Engineering or construction. Even if somebody managed to get such an H1 approved at some point in the past, that approval would have been in error, and USCIS will eventually find out.

The bottom line: It is NOT possible for the OP to get OPT or an H1 in IT. Period.

No, YOU missed the point. For OPT and an H1 it does NOT matter "how good somebody is in the field."

What matters is the degree.

For OPT, the job has to be related to the course of study. OPT is "Practical Training", it is for applying the things learned in the degree program.

And H1 required a DEGREE in the field. Not "how good you are."

Please educate yourself about these things before giving out false advice.

Thank you.

Problem here is ,during your OPT you cannot do a job which is not related to your degree. So how can OP get exp during his OPT period.

Archived