Jamaica Successful Visa Stamping - Sept 25

novice000

Hello everyone!

Thanks everyone who was able to share their experiences on this forum. I must say, it was a huge help for me. Although there was a thing or two that I figured out on my own and wanted to share those items with the rest of you who religiously follow this forum.

I had an appointment on the 25th of September at 7:30 am – I got to Kingston a day before. I got to the Embassy at about 6:45am. My turn for the interview came in at around 9:15am which lasted for about 2 minutes. The questions at the Interview are as follows:

1.       Which company do you work for?

2.       What is your title?

3.       Describe your role?

4.       Do you have a Masters?

5.       How do you think your degree has helped you perform at your job?

6.       When are you leaving?

When I told him that I was leaving Sunday, not realizing it was only Thursday, he continued to say that it takes one whole day to print the visa and I may have to postpone my return trip. And then it occurred to him that it was Thursday and so, he said that I could come by on Friday at 2pm to pick up my passport. The passport pick up took about a minute on Friday. 

I noticed that there were about 10 other indians there at the embassy. I was the only girl over there. Anyways, it looked like everyone got approved that day.

I stayed at the Knutsford hotel which was okay. It was safe, clean and did the job but the Spanish court hotel/Terre Nova/Pegasus looked like they were nicer. I tried an Indian restaurant called Tandoor which was pretty good. Being a girl and all, I was extremely paranoid about how bad it would be in terms of safety but new Kingston (where the US Embassy/Hotels are) is a decent place to be. It’s just like any country or city, where there is a good/bad neighborhoods. I had no problem taking taxis around by myself and such. I checked out a lounge called Regency at Terre nova hotel which was pretty nice. Also, there is a place called Cru, which is supposed to be trendy and fun to hang out if you like going out. Even though the Knutsford express bus ride from Kingston to Montego Bay is supposed to be scenic – I did not want to waste my time being on the bus when I could spend more time exploring the country or being a beach bum. I flew from Kingston to Montego Bay via Inter Caribbean within 30 minutes and it cost me about $60 (was last minute – could be cheaper if the tickets were bought ahead of time). There is also Caribbean air that flies to Montego bay. There is only a few flights to go back and forth so just keep that in mind before you make any last minute travel plans. I stayed at Secrets St James Place in Montego Bay which is an adults only resort which was totally AWESOME! Make sure to carry 5$ bills and dollar bills as the smaller bills come in handy if you’d like to tip and such. Couple of things to remember – 1. It shouldn’t cost one more than $30 from Airport to New Kingston area(Knutsford/Spanish Court hotel etc.). 2. It should be about $10-$15 to go from the hotel to US Embassy.

I am an FTE at a reputable, leading lifestyle band company but I am sure there were contractors there as well who received approval without an issue. As people on these forums had mentioned, if your paperwork is legitimate, you are good to go!

FYI – This is the list of documents I carried with me – they only looked at my extension I-797.

1.     Offer Letter from Current Company
2.     Current Company W2s from 2012 & 2013
3.     I-129 (Sent along with H1B Extension)
4.     I-797 (Old & New)
5.     Recent Pay Stubs
6.     Employment verification letter from Current Company
7.     DS160 confirmation
9.     Bank Statements (3 Months)
10.   Education Documents (Degree Certificates & Transcripts)
11.   Photograph. 5cm/5cm or 2”/2”

Questions asked at Port of Entry:

·         Do you work in the US?

·         What is your title?

Questions asked in Jamaica at the Entry:

·         What is the purpose of your visit?

·         How long are you going to be?

·         What are you going to do after you get your visa while you’re still Jamaica?

·         Please show me your appointment letter (DS-160)with the US Embassy

Hope this information helps! Please let me know if you have any additional questions – will try to help as much as possible!

Thanks,

1. I made my appointment for the 25th on Aug 5th.

2. I work as a Business Analyst and my major in college was Management information systems so I talked about things I do now and how I have learnt about topics such as requirements gathering, business modeling, scoping, structured methodology etc in college that have helped me perform my job effectively. You might want to do further research depending on your current gig/background - In a case where your major was Electrical and currently in an IT field, you could probably say that you had taken classes back in college pertaining to IT and part of you was always interested in gaining more knowledge in this particular field, hence the transition. 

3. Some of the other people along with me were also instructed to pick up their passport friday - the way I look at it is that if you have legitimate, strong case then they will not need do any further background check so will want to return your passport right away. (as in the following day)

4.  If you are feeling adventurous and have the time, certainly check out strawberry hill depending on the weather. I did not get a chance to check it out but the locals say its a must thing to do. I wasn't particularly interested in going to the Bob Marley museum but I suppose if you are utterly bored, that's something for one to do. I checked out regency lounge, restaurant at Terre nova hotel late afternoon/evening one of the days - that was very nice and relaxing!

On that particular day of my appointment, we were given our passports back the following day. But I have no idea how it works otherwise. I don't think anyone can guarantee the processing times. 

After reading the forums, I decided to go to Jamaica over Canada before I filled out any paperwork. I am sure it's not an issue to change the consulate location. Just take the time to research the forum or anywhere else or better yet, perhaps you could ask your immigration attorney.

https://ais.usvisa-info.com/en-JM/niv/users/sign_in

That's where you create an account to make an appointment at the US Embassy in Jamaica. 

On that particular day of my appointment, we were given our passports back the following day. But I have no idea how it works otherwise. I don't think anyone can guarantee the processing times. 

After reading the forums, I decided to go to Jamaica over Canada before I filled out any paperwork. I am sure it's not an issue to change the consulate location. Just take the time to research the forum or anywhere else or better yet, perhaps you could ask your immigration attorney.

https://ais.usvisa-info.com/en-JM/niv/users/sign_in

That's where you create an account to make an appointment at the US Embassy in Jamaica. 

i wasted 200$ with canada because of all this :(

1. There are certainly options for rental cars. I am really not sure if you'd want to drive around in such unruly, disorganized traffic. 

2. I wasn't sure if that was an option - When/if you do figure out that one can pick up their passport in Montego bay, please keep me posted. 

Thanks for replying .. Actually I am not sure about the road conditions and traffic over there. Was just wondering if i could drive from kingston to montego bay.

Does our phone works over there? I wanted to know if our data plan will work because of my work.

Archived