Perm in audit, options to work abroad on US salary

jammy22

Hi,

My PERM application was filed in Jan 2014 and my H1B 6 years expired in July 2014 including the recaptured dates. I just came to know that my PERM has been selected for Audit. Currently I am outside US on a vacation. What are my options to continue working remotely on US salary? Can I work remotely from India or Canada and still have my US payroll running? Also, would like to know if it does not cause any issue with W2 or tax ?

• 4 weeks later...

No limit at all. Consult a tax professional for tax advice.

Hi Thanks for the info....I was talking to my Hr and i am planning to go to US for 15 days on H4. I know being on h4 i will have to take leave of absence from my company till the time i am in US but my question is that can i use my paid leaves(which i received when i was on h1) also to extend my stay in United states .

Any response will be deeply appreciated.

Hi Thanks for the info....I was talking to my Hr and i am planning to go to US for 15 days on H4. I know being on h4 i will have to take leave of absence from my company till the time i am in US but my question is that can i use my paid leaves(which i received when i was on h1) also to extend my stay in United states .

Any response will be deeply appreciated.

While you are on H4 how can you use paid leaves? And, what has paid leaves to do with extending your stay on H4 status in US? I dont understand the point.

While on H4 in the US, you can not get any money from the company, not even paid leave.

While outside the US, you can work for the company, e.g., from your home country. You probably have to pay taxes in your home country, so both you and the company should consult with a good CPA knowledgeable about cross-country work arrangements and the tax issues associated with that.

While on H4 in the US, you can not get any money from the company, not even paid leave.

While outside the US, you can work for the company, e.g., from your home country. You probably have to pay taxes in your home country, so both you and the company should consult with a good CPA knowledgeable about cross-country work arrangements and the tax issues associated with that.

Thanks for the reply..another question would be that even if i am getting paid in USA do i still have to pay taxes in India?AS in my case my company does not have any setup in india?

Thanks for the reply..another question would be that even if i am getting paid in USA do i still have to pay taxes in India?AS in my case my company does not have any setup in india?

It does not work like that. Everything depends on tax treaty between US and India. You need to talk to a qualified tax professional.

That's why I said both you and the company need to sit down with a good CPA. International tax issues aren't easy.

Archived