Filing DS 160 for H1B stamping (while living in US - changing from F1 to H1B)

pvash

We changed from F1 to H1B in 2012 and are planning to go to India in Dec.2014 for our H1b visa stamping. I am getting stuck at answering the following questions. Any help will be much appreciated! TIA!

1. They ask for intended date of travel to usa (in our case from India), is it okay to put tentative date, because i will get tickets only when i get interview date? and as of filing the form we are already in US.

After which they ask for the intended length of stay - Should we put 6 months because our I-797 is going to expire on June 30, 2015?  And thats the only work document stating a date before an extension happens in the next couple of months.

2. "have you travelled to any country within the last five years?" is it okay to put USA, India, Mexico?

3. "ARE YOU APPLYING IN THE SAME COUNTRY OR LOCATION WHERE THE VISA ABOVE WAS ISSUED, AND IS THIS COUNTRY OR LOCATION YOUR PLACE OF PRINCIPAL OF RESIDENCE?"  Will it be no if we got earlier visa at chennai and are now applying at Delhi? 

4. "HAVE YOU BELONGED TO , CONTRIBUTED TO , OR WORKED FOR ANY PROFESSIONAL, SOCIAL OR CHARITABLE ORGANIZATION?" if you volunteered for an NGO, should you say yes here?

5. Has anyone ever filed an immigrant petition on your behalf with the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services? should we say yes because the company just filed our green card petition??

6. Do you have any immediate relatives, not including parents, in the United States? should the principal applicant mention wife's(born in india but living in USA while filing the form) name and daughter's(born in USA)  name here because we are all living in US while filing the form?

7. monthly income?? is stating gross income fine?

8. incase of last five visits to usa... Lets say the last we entered US was 2 may 2012 and then they ask for length of stay .Can I calculate it from may 2, 2012 to approximate dates we will leave for india in 2014(because again the tickets will be done only after getting interview dates).. is that okay??

Thanks a lot!

• 5 months later...

Hi Pvash,

I am travelling to India in 3rd week of April. Do you know how many days in advancee the  interview slots are open? Seems like the website is not allowing me to check the dates until I fill the DS160. is there any way to check the interview available slots without filling DS160

Hi Pvash,

I am travelling to India in 3rd week of April. Do you know how many days in advancee the  interview slots are open? Seems like the website is not allowing me to check the dates until I fill the DS160. is there any way to check the interview available slots without filling DS160

Why you do not want to fill a DS160?

Archived