Applying for Green Card and Spouse visa change

Hi All,

My company is ready to apply for my Green Card. My wife is on H4 visa and she is a student and she is going to change her visa from H4 to F1. My question is

1. Should we change her visa before the Green card application is filed or

2. Should we change it after the Green card application has been filed.

What are the pros and cons of both the ways?

Please advice. Thanks in advance.

Does not matter at this point of time. You still have a long way to go..first comes PERM and then I-140 and for both your spouse's visa status is not involved.

I am more concerned about my spouse's visa status change. I read somewhere if you have a GC application, then the visa change for your spouse becomes difficult as F1 visa is for non immigrant intent and my GC application (with her name in the application) means that she has immigrant intent.

Please advice. I might be totally wrong on this, but i wanted some more feedback.

Thanks

I am more concerned about my spouse's visa status change. I read somewhere if you have a GC application, then the visa change for your spouse becomes difficult as F1 visa is for non immigrant intent and my GC application (with her name in the application) means that she has immigrant intent.

Please advice. I might be totally wrong on this, but i wanted some more feedback.

Thanks

That's correct, getting F1 after I140 approval is risky.

Archived