GC holder adopting baby from India

Yogishbaliga

Hello,

We are planning to adopt a baby from India. We are currently a GC holder in USA. I searched through the previous posts in the forum. I was not able to find a definitive answer for this.

I read through the website of Indian consulate about adopting a baby from India. They outlined the process in India. What about the process here in US? Are there any parents who adopted a baby from India when they were in GC status? If so, what is the procedure for it and how long it takes to get the whole process done?

I heard in other forums that non citizens cannot adopt a child from other country while they are in US. I doubt that is the true. No country can deny people from doing good deed.

Thanx,

-- baliga

Hello,

We are planning to adopt a baby from India. We are currently a GC holder in USA. I searched through the previous posts in the forum. I was not able to find a definitive answer for this.

I read through the website of Indian consulate about adopting a baby from India. They outlined the process in India. What about the process here in US? Are there any parents who adopted a baby from India when they were in GC status? If so, what is the procedure for it and how long it takes to get the whole process done?

I heard in other forums that non citizens cannot adopt a child from other country while they are in US. I doubt that is the true. No country can deny people from doing good deed.

Thanx,

-- baliga

This is pretty much impossible for an LPR. You would have to live with the child in your home country for 2 years before being able to get a visa for the child, and that isn't possible for LPRs.

This has been discussed here before, btw.

For reference, see http://adoption.state.gov/adoption_process/who_can_adopt/residents.php

• 1 year later...

Hello Yogishbaliga,

I am in a similar situation and am wanting to adopt a child from India. I have reviewed all the posts on this topic and the responses and see that this is going to be a difficult process. I am trying to find out if you still moved forward with this adoption process or not. Hopefully you will take a minute to respond to this question.

Thanks much!

Archived