Green Card from potential employer.

Hi all,

I did tried to find the answer before on other forums, but could not find it. I was wondering if there is a possibility that a potential employer can file for Green Card for a future employee? I will give you example, I am here in my first term of my H1b and my current employer will not file my green card until I am in final term of H1b. I have a former colleague/friend(not a desi person) who has started his own startup. Can I ask him to sponsor my green card while I am still working with my current company? He does not want to hire me(or anyone) at the moment as he is still building the company and said in few years he want me to join him. Currently I am helping him without any pay as well to set his company.

Hi all,

I did tried to find the answer before on other forums, but could not find it. I was wondering if there is a possibility that a potential employer can file for Green Card for a future employee? I will give you example, I am here in my first term of my H1b and my current employer will not file my green card until I am in final term of H1b. I have a former colleague/friend(not a desi person) who has started his own startup. Can I ask him to sponsor my green card while I am still working with my current company? He does not want to hire me(or anyone) at the moment as he is still building the company and said in few years he want me to join him. Currently I am helping him without any pay as well to set his company.

Yes, GC is for future employment. As long as his company's plan to give you a job in future is genuine his company can file a GC based on that.

What do you mean by helping him with out pay?

First,  for GC,  the requirement is that the job should be available during the process.  What happens if (hypothetically) your PERM is done in a month,  140 in 15 days and 485 in 30 days ...that is whole process in less than 6 months (a dream for many :) ) ?  Will your friend be in a position to hire you ?  If so ,  go ahead

Second,   for a GC,  the PERM process absolutely have to be paid by the employer.  This costs around 4 - 5 K  depending on Attorney and newspaper Ad rates.     Is your friend/former colleague ready to make that investment knowing that you are not going to work for him in foreseeable future?    

Now there are some (like omshiv) ) who got their GC paying the PERM cost from their pocket because their shady employer did not pay a penny.  Do you want to join that league of frauds ?

Finally,  you cannot help him without pay on H1

Now there are some (like omshiv) ) who got their GC paying the PERM cost from their pocket because their shady employer did not pay a penny.  Do you want to join that league of frauds ?

Why involve me in this conversation? I did nothing wrong..I have already explained and the Attorney also clarified it.

Archived