J-1 renewal using drop-box

0x1234

Hi all,

Background: J-1 exchange visitor, completed course (3 years) in institution A on June 2014, currently in institution B (started July 1, 2014 on J-1, obtained new DS-2019 as well). J-1 visa expired on June 2012.

I'm planning to travel to India this Nov, and have to renew my J-1 visa. I see that there's a new "drop-box" Interview Waiver Program, but the guidelines for J-1 visas are conflicting.

From http://www.ustraveldocs.com/in/in-niv-visarenew.asp (eligibility criteria for drop-box processing)

If I am applying for a B1/B2, C1D, or J visa, my prior visa in the same classification is still valid or expired within the last 48 months;

OR

If I am applying for an F/M/J visa, my prior visa in the same classification and same Academic Institution is still valid or expired within the last 48 months

My question is, which one is applicable to me? If it is the first, then I qualify, if it is the second, then I don't. Please help.

Also, any experience with the drop-box program in general is appreciated as well - processing times, delays incurred etc. I just have two weeks in India, and don't want to be stuck. Is it better if I just directly appear for the interview even though I might qualify for the drop-box?

Thanks in advance!

Archived