Online Address Change - Update time and mail forwarding

Anyone has any experience on how long it takes for the USCIS online address change to take effect on the pending application. I am aware that the online address change form lets you update AR-11 first and leads you to update any pending applications such as AOS. I was getting ready to sign a lease to move to a place in neighboring city when I not only received an RFE but also the got the news that my PD will be current in Aug 2014.

The other question I have is if they process the RFE and get to resolve my pending case in the month of August, would they have updated the address before they mail out the cards? Also even if I sign up for USPS mail forwarding to be safe, do the GC envelopes get forwarded or returned to sender (USCIS).

Thanks!!

I was in pretty much the same boat, my address got changed after I filed for I-485, I still went ahead and changed my address using AR-11 and made sure I updated all the pending petitions as well. That was it.

I saw all of the next mails addressed to my new address. I would think the address change would be instaneous in this day and age, as it would be a simple database update. But since you are still to file for your I-485 I think you should be pretty safe in going ahead with the address change.

It will be effective immediately. If not within a few days.

It will not be effective immediately and can take 2+ months to get actual updates done on the file (even if done online). USCIS sends an email or in some cases mail confirming that address have been updated on your files. This is different confirmation than the one you get immediately after completing the address change online.

It will not be effective immediately and can take 2+ months to get actual updates done on the file (even if done online). USCIS sends an email or in some cases mail confirming that address have been updated on your files. This is different confirmation than the one you get immediately after completing the address change online.

I got a mail by post within a week in my case.

Thank you jairichi, shandan and Shurap1. Update: I submitted the online address change form and also tagged my pending AOS petition. Did separate form for my wife's petition. The confirmation soon after the submission was that I will be notified by July 28th.

Do you guys know if during an on-going RFE (admin stuff - I have been asked to submit new I693 and G28 forms)  and especially when the PD is on its way to be current - does the address change trigger any other RFE such as EVL or transfer to local office for processing - just becase the address change was last minute on the case? I know I can't control that but wanted to hear about the chances. Many Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Your address change will not trigger any additional review.

My recommendation is to take an InfoPass ~3 weeks after the address change form was submitted, and make sure the new address is reflected on your I-485. I once found out that two (!) of my address changes did not "take" on my application. I got the address change confirmations from the USCIS both times.

I would think the address change would be instaneous in this day and age, as it would be a simple database update.

Well, that's what I would like to think as well, but this is USCIS we are talking about...

They have a long history of ignoring address change requests.

As Belle said, taking an Infopass appointment to make sure that the new address is in their system is a good idea.

• 2 months later...

To add closure to this thread, I'd like to inform that I received both my wife's and my GC in the mail to the new address; not forwarded by USPS but it was properly delivered to my new address. All the I797 receipts were also delivered around the same time to the new address. My case status changed from review to card in production suddenly in the last week of August, about a month from when the RFE documentation was received by the USCIS. With my experience, I think if we fill out the address change form correctly and associate it properly with the pending petitions, it works.

Thank you for all the help I have received on this treasure of knowledge called Murthy.com. Thank you guys. I wish you the best.

To add closure to this thread, I'd like to inform that I received both my wife's and my GC in the mail to the new address; not forwarded by USPS but it was properly delivered to my new address. All the I797 receipts were also delivered around the same time to the new address. My case status changed from review to card in production suddenly in the last week of August, about a month from when the RFE documentation was received by the USCIS. With my experience, I think if we fill out the address change form correctly and associate it properly with the pending petitions, it works.

Thank you for all the help I have received on this treasure of knowledge called Murthy.com. Thank you guys. I wish you the best.

Good to know everything went fine. Thanks for your appreciation.

Archived