Is there any extension possible

prasug

Hi 

I have stayed in USA in L1A visa from Aug 2008 to Oct 2013 (5yrs and 2 months) with one month vacation. From Nov 2013 I converted to H1B with new employer as the previous company I was working did not apply for my GC. (H1B since Nov 2013 to till date) The new employer has applied for my labor in May 2014 and my H1 visa expires in Sep 2014. Is there any possibility of visa extension. what are the other possibilities for me to stay and work in us

Thanks in advance..Appreciate any response in this regard.

Hi 

I have stayed in USA in L1A visa from Aug 2008 to Oct 2013 (5yrs and 2 months) with one month vacation. From Nov 2013 I converted to H1B with new employer as the previous company I was working did not apply for my GC. (H1B since Nov 2013 to till date) The new employer has applied for my labor in May 2014 and my H1 visa expires in Sep 2014. Is there any possibility of visa extension. what are the other possibilities for me to stay and work in us

Thanks in advance..Appreciate any response in this regard.

You either apply for COS to B2 or H4 (if your spouse is on H1B). You cannot work. In May 2015 if PERM is pending for more than a year then employer can apply for 1 year extension. You need some days or weeks to recapture to file for extension. 

L1A gives you a maximum of 7 years stay. Hence L1A plus H1 should give you 7 years in any case..

Hmm, not quite.

If the person is in H1 status, the person has 6 years max, including previous time on L1.On

ly if the person currently is in L1A status, then the person has 7 years max.

In other words, the maximum time allowed is based on the current status, not on a status a person held earlier.

In this case, the OP is in H1 status, and hence the maximum time is 6 years.

Archived