Online non-profit n accredited university

visitor_ma

Hello all,

I am on H1B visa, I want to do MS. I m looking for doing it online from non-profit n accredited university. If I want opt based on online (non-profit n accredited univ) do I get that once my H1B visa gets exhausted?

I have 2.5 yrs left on H1 and moved to US recently. My spouse's GC will start soon and based on him I will apply for GC in future. So if by 2.5 yrs if we dont get EAD then can I apply for cpt/ opt thru online non-profit n accredited university?

Please help me with this. Thanks in advance.

Amendd here - I guess I should join college after 1.3 year (as i have around 2 years lft) when 1 year of my term is left then I shud convert to F1 in order to apply for OPT.

So this means if we dont get EAD on my spouse's GC by then, then I will have to leave job till I get OPT and then by that time I hope EAD will come through n I can continue to work on EAD WITHOUT leaving US for 365 days n filing fresh h1b. Is it correct understanding?

If yes then are there any other options for me other than EAD or hoping new bill for H4 to be passed or my own GC to initiate before 365 days of expiration, that can help me continue to work without break?

First, stay away from any unaccredited institution. I am not quite sure what you mean with "n accredited". If you mean unaccredited, stay away from them.

Second, if you want to change to F1, you will have to attend classes in person. On F1, online-only studies are not allowed.

Thank you JoeF, I meant non-profit 'and' accredited. Sorry abt that.

I m planing to start college (online) when I have 1 year left on my H1B visa and then after H1B is exhausted convert to F1 and finsih my course on F1 so that I can become eligible to get OPT.

Are there any such non-proft and accredited universities from which I can do online masters for 1st year on h1B and then convert to F1 and attend classes?  Please advise if someone knows abt it.

The only acceptable non-profit private universities are generally top-level, like Stanford and Harvard. And they don't do online studies (although Dr. Thrun, now a Google VP, experimented with online classrooms as Stanford.)

There are some borderline fraud non-profit institutions, but attending them would only invite problems.

Your best option is to attend a public university in your vicinity.

The only acceptable non-profit private universities are generally top-level, like Stanford and Harvard. And they don't do online studies (although Dr. Thrun, now a Google VP, experimented with online classrooms as Stanford.)

There are some borderline fraud non-profit institutions, but attending them would only invite problems.

Your best option is to attend a public university in your vicinity.

Thank you so much for your time in helping me. I truly appreciate it. I researched same and think only that would be better option for me.

• 2 weeks later...

Couple more question I have.

1) If I do Professional MBA while on H1B, does it help in anyways in getting OPT, I am assuming no because one need to be on F1 to get OPT. Is that right?

2) Doing Professional MBA from Txas A & M University will help me in my GC process in EB2 category? I m normal science graduate (3 yrs degree) from India and have done GNIIT and have 10 yrs of work exp as QA.

Please advice.

1) If I do Professional MBA while on H1B, does it help in anyways in getting OPT, I am assuming no because one need to be on F1 to get OPT. Is that right?

2) Doing Professional MBA from Txas A & M University will help me in my GC process in EB2 category? I m normal science graduate (3 yrs degree) from India and have done GNIIT and have 10 yrs of work exp as QA.

Please advice.

1. Yes, you need to be on F1.

2. Your master's degree will get you some advantages, but EB category is completely dependent on job requirements.

OPT is part of the F1, so you would indeed have to be in F1 status.

There is a problem with having a 3-year bachelor degree and going for EB2. It may depend on the exact job requirements. You should discuss that with your lawyer.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived