Consular processing

SVT

Hi,

As my J2 visa is expiring on June 30th my employer filed H1b (based on J1 physician waiver approval documents) for me under premium processing and got the visa approval notice today which is valid up to June 2017. I will be getting my I-797 documents by next week. In the approval mail it is given that ‘consular notified (if applicable): Chennai’ and the I-94 # is also provided. My concern is that whether I need to go to India and do the visa stamping immediately in order to continue my work. I have been hearing contrasting opinions regarding the consular processing. We are planning to visit India in November. If I can do the visa stamping during that time I could avoid an extra travel to India. But if it is mandatory I’m ready to do the visa stamping immediately.

As mentioned above,  I will be getting my I797 only by next week. If I have to do visa stamping now to continue my work, please advise whether I have to leave the US on June 30th as my J2 visa is expiring on June 30th.

Thank you for your valuable suggestions.

Hi,

As my J2 visa is expiring on June 30th my employer filed H1b (based on J1 physician waiver approval documents) for me under premium processing and got the visa approval notice today which is valid up to June 2017. I will be getting my I-797 documents by next week. In the approval mail it is given that ‘consular notified (if applicable): Chennai’ and the I-94 # is also provided. My concern is that whether I need to go to India and do the visa stamping immediately in order to continue my work. I have been hearing contrasting opinions regarding the consular processing. We are planning to visit India in November. If I can do the visa stamping during that time I could avoid an extra travel to India. But if it is mandatory I’m ready to do the visa stamping immediately.

As mentioned above,  I will be getting my I797 only by next week. If I have to do visa stamping now to continue my work, please advise whether I have to leave the US on June 30th as my J2 visa is expiring on June 30th.

Thank you for your valuable suggestions.

Check your I797 whether it has an I94. If yes, there is no need for visa stamping till you travel outside US. Otherwise you need to exit and enter US with a valid H1B visa. Every H1B petition has an effective start date. From that date onwards you will be on H1B status in US.

Archived