Laid off while on OPT with H1B visa application approved

newbie16

Hi,

I was laid off yesterday on June 16th. I will be on the payroll till July 15th. I am on OPT (without STEM extension) that ends on August 30th. I have an approved H1B visa application. The visa comes into effect on October 1st. How much time do I have to find a new job and what are my options?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Hi,

I was laid off yesterday on June 16th. I will be on the payroll till July 15th. I am on OPT (without STEM extension) that ends on August 30th. I have an approved H1B visa application. The visa comes into effect on October 1st. How much time do I have to find a new job and what are my options?

From June 16th your 60 days grace period starts to leave US.

Hi,

You can be unemployed during OPT for 90 days.

t75, I used up only 2 days of unemployment under OPT. So I guess I still have 88 days unemployment allowed under OPT. Though my OPT ends on August 31st. So from July 15th to August 31st would be 45 days.

My approved H1B is with my current employer. I guess I will be in "cap-gap" during the month of september. Do you think I have time till Oct 1st to find a new employer willing to transfer my H1B?

Archived