H4 travel when extension is in process

Snehakeerthi27

Hi,

I am here in US on a H4 visa with a valid stamp until March 2015. My husband joined a new employer last week and his company applied for his H1B transfer and also for my extension of stay, both cases with the Vermont center under regular processing. I know it takes about 3 months on average for Vermont to process these cases, but I need to go to India next month. Can i travel when my case is still pending? what are my options. please suggest. thanks in advance.

Hi,

I have been told that if my wife travels when her application is pending, the application will be considered abandoned. Considering that she travels to India now, she has to wait in India till my application is approved and then get it stamped at the consulate. 

Is my understanding correct?

That is correct.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi 

My case is similar to this. My h1b visa is getting transferred to employer B, while my spouse is in India having h4 stamping with current employer A. Is it mandatory for my wife to attend visa stamping with latest approved I797 with employer B ? Or Can she travel to usa without visa stamping, but with the copy of new i797?

Thanks

Vamshi

Archived