how to confirm if i140 is still valid

pgp

Hi

My I140 was approved at a company I left long time back, the PD was current then.

1. How do I confirm if I140 is still valid (I have approval document, WAC number)?
2. For GC, do I have to go through LCA and I140 again at new company? Any advantage in joining my previous company?
3. How much time does it take to get GC in either case?

Thanks,

Prakash

To get reliable information, you can either ask the old company whether they withdrawn your application or you can file FOIA request. Or just pull the status of application on the web-site (but it may not be reliable). Another way is to get an InfoPass and ask about it. Just say you are about to file a new petition, so would like to confirm your priority date from the old one. Then, ask whether it was withdrawn.

For a new green card, you will need a new LC/I-140 from your new employer. You can join the old company and file I-485, but I fail to see an advantage if you don't want to work there. LC/I-140 will take 6 month to 1 year, which in your career/life terms won't make much difference.

Thanks Belle for excellent answers. Just few more questions.

1. How long does it take to file I485 and get GC approved?

2. How early can one change company after applying for I-485, without losing pending GC approval?

3. Can someone with GC attend a fulltime university classes?

Regards,

Prakash

1. 2-4 months.

2. If you file I-485 with no real intention to stay with the company "indefinitely", you may be accused of misrepresentation. There is no set timeframe, but I would highly advise you not to do it with this goal in mind.

3. Sure. However, you are getting your GC specifically to work. You need to discuss this with a lawyer.

Archived