Which Visa to apply for dependent ?

shan8jan

I am pursuing my MBA from a US university and currently on F1 visa. My course ends next year on 30th April, 2014 and I20 is valid until 30th April. I am getting married in March, 2014 and planning to bring my spouse on dependent visa. I am considering options and wanted to know which one would be the best ? I have explored few options and wanted to know your perspective

1. My dependent can file for a F2 visa just after marriage? I understand that getting an F2 for a month would be difficult however, she can come with me to US just after marriage

2. Other option I was thinking was to file for a F1-OPT for myself and then file F2 visa along on F1-OPT.

3. Third option would be to file H1B (I have a potential employer) in April and then file dependent's H4 along with me. In this option, do I need to come back to US before April 1st (H1b filling date, and since my I20 is valid until 30th April). Also if my company would be filling H1b from US , can she file H4 from India? 

I am pursuing my MBA from a US university and currently on F1 visa. My course ends next year on 30th April, 2014 and I20 is valid until 30th April. I am getting married in March, 2014 and planning to bring my spouse on dependent visa. I am considering options and wanted to know which one would be the best ? I have explored few options and wanted to know your perspective

1. My dependent can file for a F2 visa just after marriage? I understand that getting an F2 for a month would be difficult however, she can come with me to US just after marriage

2. Other option I was thinking was to file for a F1-OPT for myself and then file F2 visa along on F1-OPT.

3. Third option would be to file H1B (I have a potential employer) in April and then file dependent's H4 along with me. In this option, do I need to come back to US before April 1st (H1b filling date, and since my I20 is valid until 30th April). Also if my company would be filling H1b from US , can she file H4 from India? 

1. Yes. But, tough to get a visa if you do not have an approved OPT by that time.

2. Refer 1.

3. H1B can be filed when you are abroad or in US. Once your H1B is approved your spouse has to apply for a H4 visa based on your I797 approval notice.

Archived