Own a business in USA on H1b

archusanu

I am on H1b visa with green card in process. Can I own an absentee run business? I will continue to work for my employer. Existing employees will run the business but I will own (100%) the income, books, taxes , licenses (if any) etc. is there some legal issue with that ?

I am on H1b visa with green card in process. Can I own an absentee run business? I will continue to work for my employer. Existing employees will run the business but I will own (100%) the income, books, taxes , licenses (if any) etc. is there some legal issue with that ?

No that's not allowed on H1. On H1 you cannot work for yourself.

You can be a passive investor while on H1, but you can not do the books, taxes, or anything else.

Essentially, you can put money into a business and, if the business is successful, you can get dividends if the company management decides to give out dividends.

Doing the books or doing taxes is work as well, and you can't do that if you are in the US on H1.

Somebody else would have to run the business, including all the financial stuff. If you don't want that, the business can not continue.

Archived