Name Inconsistency on i797

Rational1

Hi All,

I recently got my i797 approved for 3 years. This is my 7th year on h1b. The name on the approval notice is inconsistent from my previous 797's but, it is consistent with what is on my new passport which was renewed last year. So technically the previous two 797's had the mistake on them. The mistake being a 'space' between the two parts of my first name. For example: Ram and Krishna. The correct spelling should be no spaces. The passport has spaces (old and new) and so does the new i797. But my previous 797's do not have spaces.

From what i have read across forums, as long as the name on the passport and 797 is consistent, i should be fine. Correct me if am wrong. Do they check my previous 797's when i go for stamping? I have a stamping interview scheduled in the next couple of weeks.

Appreciate your inputs.

Regards.

Hi All,

I recently got my i797 approved for 3 years. This is my 7th year on h1b. The name on the approval notice is inconsistent from my previous 797's but, it is consistent with what is on my new passport which was renewed last year. So technically the previous two 797's had the mistake on them. The mistake being a 'space' between the two parts of my first name. For example: Ram and Krishna. The correct spelling should be no spaces. The passport has spaces (old and new) and so does the new i797. But my previous 797's do not have spaces.

From what i have read across forums, as long as the name on the passport and 797 is consistent, i should be fine. Correct me if am wrong. Do they check my previous 797's when i go for stamping? I have a stamping interview scheduled in the next couple of weeks.

Appreciate your inputs.

Regards.

You are fine. Your passport name should match all your documents.

Archived