L-1B to H-1B

anilmokarala

Hi, Iam working for Company A from past 5 years and i served in US for two years on L1B from the same company. Last year, i came back to India and my company had processed both my L-1B and H-1B (Consular),  given the chance of rejection. Fortunately, i got L-1B approved and recently my H-1B was picked in the lottery. 

My questions are

1. Can i travel to US on L-1B and change to H-1B

2. Can i travel to US for 3 to 4 months and once i get the H-1b approved, can i come back to get it stamped in India? Will i face some problem if i come back within a short time and go for H-1B stamping?

3. Do i need to wait until my H-1b gets approved and then travel to US on H-1B?

Kindly advise

Hi, Iam working for Company A from past 5 years and i served in US for two years on L1B from the same company. Last year, i came back to India and my company had processed both my L-1B and H-1B (Consular),  given the chance of rejection. Fortunately, i got L-1B approved and recently my H-1B was picked in the lottery. 

My questions are
1. Can i travel to US on L-1B and change to H-1B
2. Can i travel to US for 3 to 4 months and once i get the H-1b approved, can i come back to get it stamped in India? Will i face some problem if i come back within a short time and go for H-1B stamping?
3. Do i need to wait until my H-1b gets approved and then travel to US on H-1B?

Kindly advise

1. Yes. Only after H1B approval.

2. Yes. No issue.

3. Your H1B start date is 1st Oct.

Thanks for your reply. Just want to know the details a little further. 

1. As my H-1B was filed under consular, Is it ok if i travel on L-1B now and change to H-1B once approved. As some people say, i should have it stamped for H-1B, if i need to change to H-1B.

Please advise

1. Yes, you can travel now on L1B and when you would like to move to H1B you need to exit and enter US with a valid H1B visa and I797.

Archived