Automatic Visa Re-validation Clarification

MJX

I am a Jamaican citizen currently attending school in the US. While I have remained in status, my student visa has been expired since 2013. I wanted to visit Jamaica for a week; however, I’m worried that this might not be enough time to renew my visa. I read about the automatic visa re-validation (AVR) option, and while it seems that it might apply to my situation, I was wondering if because I am going to my own country of citizenship, I would be expected to apply for a new visa, and therefore not eligible for AVR.

Thanks

I am a Jamaican citizen currently attending school in the US. While I have remained in status, my student visa has been expired since 2013. I wanted to visit Jamaica for a week; however, I’m worried that this might not be enough time to renew my visa. I read about the automatic visa re-validation (AVR) option, and while it seems that it might apply to my situation, I was wondering if because I am going to my own country of citizenship, I would be expected to apply for a new visa, and therefore not eligible for AVR.

Thanks

You are eligible for AVR, but if you attend visa interview then you cannot use AVR.

Archived